Author Topic: Using Parish Records  (Read 655 times)

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Using Parish Records
« on: Monday 14 February 05 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Just a general query - if I take a trip to the Liverpool Central Library how do I make use of the Parish Records they have there?
What information do I need apart from knowing which Parish and the name of the person(s) I'm looking for?

Also how do you access the Census details they have there? One look at the boxes and I kept right away!!

I have been just once before and felt so much at sea, that it's put me off going again.

I know some of you Rootschatters are regular visitors there and I'd like to go and be of use to someone else apart from myself.

Regards, Olly
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline Leggy

• I have opted not to be notified of new replies and messages
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Using Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 05 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Olly,
I have been visiting my local Records Office for a couple of years but never tried researching in a Library. Would there be a member of staff that you could ask? As far as parish registers go, it's also handy to have some idea of the dates you're interested in-I've found that some of my ancestors names were quite common and it can get a bit confusing! In the Records office they have census files that give you the census year you're looking for which is then broken down into places and each place has an index number so it's quite easy to work out which fiche to look at.
Hope this has been of some help!
Lynn.
Berkshire-Butler, Chapman, Kirton, Charlton, Woodley
Hampshire-Butler, Girdler
Oxford-Charlton, Chapman.
Lancashire-Reynolds.
Essex-Webb, Crozier

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Using Parish Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 05 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Lynn

Thanks for the help - sorry if I misled you, but I know the L'pool Records Office as a Library - anyway whatever we call it, the Records are kept there.

When I said about the census boxes - they just seemed to be a mass of numbers on the outside and I didn't know where to start.

I am certainly plucking up courage to go again, perhaps someone will be able to help there, although I didn't feel very confident last time.
Thanks again
Regards, Olly
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool