Author Topic: Not much to go on but need help  (Read 992 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Not much to go on but need help
« on: Monday 14 February 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
I know I have relatives somewhere in Ohio, at least I have been informed that this was where they were, unfortunately I do not have a great deal of information to go on, but being hopeful, here goes.

I was informed that one of my ancestors ALEXANDER McCULLOCH went to Ohio, probably early in the 1900s?
obviously he married there and had a family, I have in my possession a photograph of a young man dressed in a baseball outfit and holding a bat, written on the back is Alex, the second Yankee, could he be Alexander McCulloch, descended from the original emigrant?
also another photo with a lady and little girl, only info on that is Jean & Mary, but I don`t know which is which, assume they are connected to the Alex in the baseball photo? looks like it was taken in the early 30s.

Father of Alexander was possibly EZEKIEL McCULLOCH, he is my gt grandfather, his daughter Christina was my grandmother, she had an illegitimate child, James McCulloch born 1896 in Port Glasgow, Scotland (my father) he later assumed the name of his natural father James Barr.
There was correspondence with the USA relatives up to the second war, this ceased after death of my father in 1941.

If anyone is researching McCulloch, do they have any links with this family? Ezekiel McCulloch originated in Ireland, but married in Glasgow Scotland, to Caroline Fraser, any information leading to the descendants of Alex would bemost appreciated, thank you
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline grub

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Xander
    • View Profile
Re: Not much to go on but need help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I was informed that one of my ancestors ALEXANDER McCULLOCH went to Ohio, probably early in the 1900s?

Hi
Do you have any idea of place of birth or year of birth for your Alexander?  Not found with that spelling yet on 1930 census for Ohio, but loads of others in other states.

Valerie
Bayley, Dorset, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Cheshire and others.
Antrobus, Somerset/Glouster
Skelton, Heslington, Yorkshire
James, Norfolk, and London
Delasalle, London area
Gravett/Grevet, Surrey
Also searching the above in Australia

“Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 08:38 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of entries for Alex/Alexander McCulloch in the CEF WW1 attestation papers - perhaps you will know if any of them are yours.  If so, this should give you an address at time of enlistment as a starting point.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies, re the question from "Grub" I sent a message but not sure if I followed things correctly, so in case it did not go through, will repeat my reply here.

Alexander was born in 1871 (his full name shown on baptism was Alexander Ezekiel) born in Tradeston Glasgow, later lived in Rutherglen or Port Glasgow.
Would their place
of residence be given when emigrating ?

Re reply about possibility of being in WW1, he would have been in his 40s then, so would he have been in the army? but perhaps his son Alexander was?, I assume from the photograph I have, that it would have been taken in late 20s or 30s so possibly he could have been in the army during WW1

The problem is, I know so little about them and its very frustrating trying to find a lead, obviously my father having been illegitimate I would not have been told anything about his side of the family, my father died when I was still a little girl (aged 10) and I do not recall ever visiting any of his relatives after then, probably because my mother would have been afraid I might have asked questions, there were so many secrets in the family!!
Hence my taking a "long shot" and hoping for some clues.
I will certainly try the site mentioned to see if I can find anything, thank you
Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)