Author Topic: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)  (Read 19803 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone :)

Due to the amazing help and patience of Jacquie, and Janice, I am now in touch with my Canadian relatives. I now have photos, stories etc. However, as is want to happen, when you get new info, you get new mysteries!

Here's the background on this one:
Harry & Maria Hilsden emigrated to Canada in 1905, with their 3 sons, George Harold, Eric Stanley, & Norman Henry.

In 1915, Eric Stanley married a lovely lady called Margaret Bryans. (Source: Marriage Cert). According to the MC, Margaret Bryans was born in 1891, in Elors. Her father is listed as: W J Bryans, and her mother is listed as: E A Shewell Bryans.

However, last night I got sent a few photos, and sketchy bits of a story, Apparently, Margaret was adopted, and was treated somewhat like a slave by her adoptive family. Eric's family, and himself, kind of rescued her. (Source: word of mouth, from grandson of Eric) Also relayed to me, that Margaret was of European descent, even though she was born in Canada.

The photo I was sent, was this one:
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I start, if I can?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:27 GMT (UK) »
The name of the file of the above photo, was as it was sent to me.  So I asked, who was Christine Vickers?  Was she Margarets birth mother?  The grandson wasn't sure.  He then sent me the back of the photo:

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:37 GMT (UK) »
I asked why she was given up for adoption, and the grandson seemed to think that the family couldn't afford to keep her. :(

Was Margaret born Margaret Vickers, and if so, what are the names, Ross & Bryans?

he finally sent me another photo, and he himself didn't understand the "caption" on it...but apparently, Margaret is in it:

My guess, is that Stanley is the top boy on the left, Margaret is the girl on the right, and Eveline Annie is the mother at the front (Eveline Annie matching with the E A of the Marriage Cert.), don't know the names of the others...

Sorry for this great big long post, but the story has caught me up!  How can I go about tracing this lady?  Would it be possible at all?  (ps, the marriage took place in Grey)

Thanks for reading this far anyway!

Daisy Loo

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I cannot help withy our query but the names in your inital post struck me

the photo i have of my profile is
my great nan with her children
Harold
Stanley
George
Norman
and Hilda (Amelia)

Harold moved first to detroit where he worked in the motor factories and then he moved to Vancouver,

i had to read your post a few times because of teh names

good luck in your search

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Toni*

That is pretty amazing...don't suppose they came from Wycombe, Bucks did they?  Or have HILLSDON/HILSDEN relatives?

Daisy Loo

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Wow, a mystery...We love those...
Now don't worry there may be some spec and missinformation, but if it can be sorted in the end, we will do our best...

I'll start with just Evaline and William John Bryans...1891, with no children
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=1559920
and 1901 with three children ( Stanley, Rita & Fanny) & still no Margaret in household
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=51978&highlight=42
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
aha, Christina Vickers! Unwed...a dressmaker, Elora, Wellington
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1891/001081-119.02-e.php?person_id_nbr=2941781
With Margaret as surname McIntosh!
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
ooooh JJ, that's fantastic!

So Evaline & William John were English...

and the photo fits then, as it says Stanley, margaret...okay...

And now Christina Vickers....

You're a star!  Thanks :)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 15:48 GMT (UK) »
ooh, I missed the bit of Margaret being McIntosh!  the mystery gets better!

what do the letters N & L stand for, in the column relation to head?