Author Topic: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)  (Read 19800 times)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)
« Reply #108 on: Monday 02 March 09 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Just out of curiosity, I was wondering why Christina had her picture taken in Toronto?  Could she have gone there to give birth?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Monday 02 March 09 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Well, wherever Margaret was born, she was definately in Elora...look what I got in the post today!
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Am really quite put out!  The Knox Church have replied to me, saying they can't help me, due to Freedom of Info & Privacy Laws!!!

I did email her back, and maybe she might help me further...but that seems obsurd!

Unless it confirms that it WAS an illigimate birth, and that's why she won't tell me?

Since when are baptismal records covered by privacy laws? Even if privacy laws did cover baptism records, isn't the one you are looking for from over 100 years ago? If so, it wouldn't be covered. I think someone at the Knox Church is just being lazy and is using that as an excuse not to look up the record or they misread your email and thought you were asking for a look up from the latter part of the 1900s instead of the 1800s.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh, the little dear and her uncomfortable button tie shoes...Isn't she just a doll. Who do you belong to dear?  :P :-\
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Jacquie...we posted together... Does seem idiotic, doesn't it? would it concern the adoption perhaps, but even so is there a law governing disclosure after a century plus? Or are they just being lazy as you say...
Didn't the other info come from Knox?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:11 GMT (UK) »
You guys have lost me again....

Have I got this right...that Christina Singer, could have been the Christina Webster, making Jane a possible sibling of William McIntosh ie, like an aunt-in-law?

Guys, I just want to apologise if I am not with you 100% at the moment...have loads going on, have family connections coming out of the woodwork in all sorts of directions (mainly from Canada) which is all great, Fantastic in fact, but it makes for confusion like no other!  Never mind when real life has to take a front seat!

Thank you all again though for helping me....if there were flower icons, I would give you all flowers :)

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Monday 02 March 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
No, the other info came from the Anglican Church (which I did say to the lady who emailed me, that I had gotten baptism records from them, for the same family)

I don't think it would be relating to the adoption, I think it would relate to her being illigitmate....

Jacquie, (Hiya :) ) I don't the lady was being lazy, coz she looked up stuff at the museum, and sent me links for McIntosh'es, from Guelph..(link below)...she seemed very helpful otherwise...but she said there was still a living family of mcIntishes attending the church today...could be she feels she's protecting them?

http://www.wcm.on.ca/tweedsmuir/results_name.php?start=9&township=0&name_last=McIntosh&name_first=

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:15 GMT (UK) »
It's only been a couple of years in Ontario this new privacy law.  Prior to that I could call up a church get information, call a funeral home no problem at all, they would give me the information.  Now, nothing.  Gone are the days when I would call up a funeral home and get a Funeral Directors' Statement of Death, for any time period.  The churches are the same way now, unless you get some that don't mind bending the rules a little bit.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:25 GMT (UK) »
What would be the way around it?  Who exactly are the privacy laws protecting, if it's family that are asking for it?

grr...

I'm heading off to bed now...cheers guys...