Author Topic: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)  (Read 19804 times)

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 4 generations of Prestidge, 1835-1985
    • View Profile
Re: Where would I start, if I can? (post in 3 posts)
« Reply #117 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 00:57 GMT (UK) »
No rest for the wicked...one person after another came online...anyway...
I had another chat today with grandson, who has been pumping family members for me...
What you have all found, appears to be correct, in so far as:

Margaret AND Christina were BOTH baptised at KNOX
Margaret apparently remembered her years living with Aunty Webster
Christina died of a burst appendix
Margaret got very sick (they don't know what of yet) as a child, which is why Christina never married ( ???)
It seems that Frank Vickers was an uncle of Margaret (so def right family, with TINA, 1891)
And there was a relative of Christina involved in the shoemaking/repair business as well (have we found that out?)

There's another grand-daughter around that has done some family research, and I'm hopefully getting connected with her.  I'd like to find more info about Jane, now that we have confirmed that she was Christina's mother.  I can do that via An****y, from the scotland records.

So I guess, we have found the end to this mystery in a way...but will let you know any other details, if they are relevant.

thanks again everyone :) :-* :-* :-*
All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 01:30 GMT (UK) »
What a lovely picture :)

Too bad the Baptisms aren't being forthcoming .

Glad things are coming together from other information.

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
so we have the right mom and the right family in Francis, as his son Frank was considered an uncle...
So Christine was raised in that family at least...
no Christina may be a direct aunt, but born a little too soon for my liking ( 816 - 1819 ) as the others are 40's and 50's births...
so, might she be a great aunt...ie sister to Jane's dad rather than to Jane?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Rounding out some more information in case it rings a bell
McIntosh in Wellington Ctr. in 1881

Isabella McIntosh 1815  / Scotland / widow...right in Elora...was her husband related?

James McIntosh 1845 / Scotland / Carpenter  in nearby Fergus I thought for a bit that he might be
a brother to Jane...maybe met Vickers through carpentry
Alexander McIntosh 1846 / Scotland / Carpenter in nearby Pilkington so same thought re: builders...
William McIntosh 1814 / Scotland /  farmerin nearby Pilkington

Andrew Vickers b. 1831 Eng/ labourer / Maryborough, Wellington Nort
in 1852 a John Vickers b. c 1815 England was a musician ( Musision )
but I just found this, apparently he is a weaver later if same one? http://genforum.com/vickers/messages/1247.html
funny I never thought to google information before...
Although on same  census Francis is a teamster in Brantford , Brant so there may have been more outside Welligton dist.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
speaking of which I can't believe I didn't ever see this?
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=rmbtoronto&recno=12249
( mind you most names are taken from census, and IGI )
( also didn't know how to deal with Christine...thank goodness for the image so we could see "trina" or "tina")

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
speaking of which I can't believe I didn't ever see this?
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=SHOW&db=rmbtoronto&recno=12249
( mind you most names are taken from census, and IGI )
( also didn't know how to deal with Christine...thank goodness for the image so we could see "trina" or "tina")

Dates of birth are a bit out too!

I see you are continuing to dig JJ! :)  I am grateful.

Just an update really, the "Elder" has come back to me re: Knowx Church, and she said she is passing the info to the Church Historian to see if he can find "any such baptism" - I replied and thanked her, and told her that it had been confirmed by the family, that not only was Margaret baptised there, but her mother too.  So there is hope yet that I may get some more info.

As far as I can see from the scottish census's, Jane only had one brother, a William.  I will check him out to see if I can find him settled in Scotland, DOB etc.

BARNETT- Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Dorset HILSDEN/HILLSDEN/HILLSDON- Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Canada PRESTIDGE/PRESTAGE- Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Islington PINNIGER/PINEGAR/PINNEGAR - Wiltshire       Brambleby - Kent, Middlesex     
LEACH- Norfolk   BUTTERWORTH - Lancashire   OTTON - Somerset  LAWRENCE - Berkshire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Christine still might be on the 1852 census, as I found a glitch in there today...
Go look for Thomas Vickers, the carpenter......then see his wife, Jessy ? well she is not on the list of Vickers ..because they never transcribed her with a surname!!! Wonder how many others are missing like that?

Because they are listed with surname, the database won't find them...Angus Angus and his whole family appear to be missing for the same reason...

Offline Daisy Loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, thank goodness I didn't accept "no" the first time round...nt only did the lady herself give me the info, but she scanned the baptism book, and sent me the pics!

Here you go:

The funny thing is, she sent me the whole page of the book! (not very priivate for other people!  ::) :o )

The second pic, shows Frank Vickers as Christina's father!

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 05 March 09 23:28 GMT (UK) »
What great news! I am very pleased for you :)

Polarbear
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada