Author Topic: Elizabeth Powell  (Read 5017 times)

Offline Chestergirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Powell
« on: Tuesday 24 February 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the family of Peter Powell born in Higher Kinnerton 16/6/1850 to Elizabeth Powell and no father!  On the 1851 census baby Peter is living with Henry and Sarah Davison and not with his mother.  I notice from the census that there was a Powell family living in the area and wondered if Elizabeth was the daughter of one Samuel and Martha Powell.  Unfortunately I can't find any of Samuel's family on the 1841 census to confirm this.  My only conclusion is that Powell is mis-spelt somewhere and that's why I can't easily find it.  From the children of Samuel who were born in Hope, can anyone tell me where on the 1841 census to look to trawl through the names hopefully to find Samuel?
Many thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Powell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a vague recollection of a post a couple of weeks back where one of the replies mentioned missing parts of the Flintshire census.  Not sure if it was 1841 or 1851
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
If you post the info you have from the 1851 census I'll see if  I can find anything in the parish records.

Paul.

Offline Chestergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a vague recollection of a post a couple of weeks back where one of the replies mentioned missing parts of the Flintshire census.  Not sure if it was 1841 or 1851
  Thanks for the info and for taking the time to reply. 

Offline Chestergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
If you post the info you have from the 1851 census I'll see if  I can find anything in the parish records.

Paul.
Paul that's very generous of you - thank you very much.  Please understand that I am grabbing at straws here but as Peters birth certificate only lists his mother I am not getting very far.
In 1851, I have Samuel and Martha Powell living in Bramley? Lane, Higher Kinnerton with their children Martha aged 17, John aged 16, Eleanor aged 12 and three grandsons.  Martha, John and Eleanor were born in Hope. Samuel was born in Chester (which I think I have found).  It would be great if Samuel had a daughter Elizabeth who would have been old enough to have had a baby in 1850!  In 1861 there is an Elizabeth Powell age 26 working in Hawarden as a servant, giving place of birth as Hope.....
Any help would be very much appreciated
Kind regards

Offline Jetdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 June 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Chestergirl

I am reseaching Samuel & Martha Powell too - I have come across a reference to Elizabeth as their daughter B.1830 which would fit into your timescale.

Samuel was my GGG GF

PM me if you need more

Cheers

Offline Chestergirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Jetdragon

I can't believe I haven't seen this post before - how very rude of me not to reply - I do apologise most sincerely.

Any info you would be willing to share about Elizabeth would be most welcome. 

Regards
Lesley