Author Topic: Does anyone have access to Ancestry South Africa please?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Does anyone have access to Ancestry South Africa please?
« on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I have had a look on Ancestry South Africa and it show 18 records for the 'AINGER'. I have had a look at the 2 which are free to view and wondered if there was anyone who had access to the others?

Many thanks

Kim xXx
Williams-Enfield Middlesex<br />Burl(e)s-Enfield Middlesex, Hatfield Broad Oak Essex<br />Collins-Enfield, Middlesex<br />Staines-Enfield Middlesex<br />Thompson- East End Of London<br />Attrill- ? Bethnal Green, Essex or London areas<br />Wright-Bermondsey<br />Patten-East London, Essex

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have access to Ancestry South Africa please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 February 09 11:40 GMT (UK) »
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 February 09 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pauline,

I have emailed my local library to see what they have as first port of call.  I always thought local libraries only held records for the local area and as I don't come from anywhere near here I have not used it.

Kim
Williams-Enfield Middlesex<br />Burl(e)s-Enfield Middlesex, Hatfield Broad Oak Essex<br />Collins-Enfield, Middlesex<br />Staines-Enfield Middlesex<br />Thompson- East End Of London<br />Attrill- ? Bethnal Green, Essex or London areas<br />Wright-Bermondsey<br />Patten-East London, Essex

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 February 09 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

Further to Paulines information this gives you information as to sites you may be able to access from your libarary

http://www.suffolk.gov.uk/LeisureAndCulture/Libraries/VirtualReferenceLibrary/GoldStandardReferenceServices.htm

Many libraries now have internet access to various databases and you may be able to access some of them from home. The Ancestry Library Edition is one that can only be accessed from libraries, if the local library subscribes and it looks like Suffolk does.

I'm curious about your reference to Ancestry South Africa, I couldn't actually see a separate site and wondered what particular databases the records are in. Someone with a Worldwide subscription should be able to access them.

Andy

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply.  I have checked my local library in Lowestoft and they tel me they don't have it.

What I was looking at was on this http://www.ancestry24.co.za/eng/default.aspx site and when you put a search by name it states there are 16 items under the 'subscriber content' and 2 items under the 'open content'.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim

Now I'm with you, Ancestry24 is not part of the Ancestry we generally know and as you say is a South African website, could I suggest you modify the topic heading to include Ancestry24.  If you don't have any response it may be worth subscribing for say 6 months as it doesn't seem that expensive.

Andy

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have access to Ancestry24 South Africa please?
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 February 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andy

I did not realise I given the web address by someone else and they told me it was Ancestry I just assumed it was the same, that would explain why I could not see the details on my Ancestry subscription.

Kim

Offline noseyoap

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 March 09 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I have a membership for Ancestry24, I was quite impressed with it as I found my grandfathers 1st marriage in South Africa. Before I paid I posting a message on their forum and the editor sent a reply that she had a marriage record for him and a childs baptism but I would have to become a member. It works out at about £13 for a years membership.
Chapman - Antrim/Liverpool
Harde - Swansea
Lewis - Glamorgan
Eley - Lincolnshire
Guntrip - Acton

Offline kimbo68

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks

I had tried to find out how much it was but I could not get an answer from anyone.  If that is all it is I will have to join, well worth a few pounds as I know there is a lot of info on there about my family members.

Thanks for the advice.

Kim