Author Topic: Chirk 1861 census  (Read 9441 times)

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk 1861 census
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 23 May 09 20:34 BST (UK) »
Now walked through the 1871 (District 14) -   Penypark, New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks,  The Lodge, Royal Oak ....

So it looks like The Nant in 1861 covered that area that was 'New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks'  by 1871 - i.e all that area we know as 'The Barracks'

Gadget

I too am researching Chirk on my father's side, particulary the female lines. I have come across this 1841 census return ;
RG HO107; Piece 1399; book 1/9 ; page 10
Davies family living in : New Barracks, Chirk, Brynkinalt.

Just in case it helps you in any way.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline mike hughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi keith i used to live in black park be nice to hear from you
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:23 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea when either the Top or Bottom Barracks were built or why, and I've come across a family member living in Middle Barracks, but that is the ony time I've come across the name. I did wonder if they were built as accomodation for the canal navies or the labourers building the GWR railway.
Your photo,( thanks for that,) reminded of my Dad, working nights regular at Black Park, used to leave Bronywaun sometime after 9.30pm, call to see his mother im Myddleton Terrace and then walk up Chirk Green and through Ley Farm along a bit of Green Lane to work, through all weathers and a second world war. I expect you could say something similar for your father, now there was a nice man!!
Don't know if you ever hear any news from Chirk, I hear bits occasionally which I can pass on if you are interested
Keith

Offline mike hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi i used to live in black park be nice to hear from you
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Now walked through the 1871 (District 14) -   Penypark, New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks,  The Lodge, Royal Oak ....

So it looks like The Nant in 1861 covered that area that was 'New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks'  by 1871 - i.e all that area we know as 'The Barracks'

Gadget

I too am researching Chirk on my father's side, particulary the female lines. I have come across this 1841 census return ;
RG HO107; Piece 1399; book 1/9 ; page 10
Davies family living in : New Barracks, Chirk, Brynkinalt.

Just in case it helps you in any way.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 November 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike  :)

Have you traced your family further in Chirk. Most of us are all interrelated. There's an interesting public Facebook page that you might find interesting:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chirkhistory/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 May 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
found the posts very interesting.
found my ancestor George Pritchard and his brothers in the census records. and have commuicated with Gadget, but recently found then in the tithe records on the National Library of Wales.
Chirk field number 158. cottage and garden. Biddulph Charlotte Myddelton. Occupier George Pritchard. Area 37p.
would love to know where to find any further information on perhaps the miners records of Black Park

Offline Elizadoolittle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 May 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
My dad was born at Park Gate Cottages in the1920s and my granny and grandad Jones lived there until grandad retired at age about 70.  Dad said that the cottages (which had been split into two dwellings) had been a public house called the Royal Oak and there were still a scullery and massive inglenook fireplace in their cottage.  I thought that my grandad had worked for Mr Darlington who lived at the Lodge - he must have had a lot of respect for Mr Darlington as there is still a photo in the family photos.

Offline pritchardgeo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 May 20 17:33 BST (UK) »
thanks for the message. i wonder if thats where George Pritchard was before your ancestors.