Author Topic: Chirk 1861 census  (Read 9458 times)

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chirk 1861 census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 February 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
As I recall the Lower Barracks were someway down from Green Lane which I think began more or less at Halton church and continued up through the yard of Ley Farm. I was up there a year or so ago and found Green Lane closed off due to the new main road which bypassed Chirk village. I can't remember too well, but I got the impression Lower Barracks was now just a couple of houses, the Upper Barracks had changed out of all recognition and seemed to be up-market modernised old houses very different to the one I visited in the 40's. Many of the names on that census are very familiar and keep repeating even up to 1911.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 February 09 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Here's a picture of Green Lane 2-3 years ago:

You can't get all the way around now as you used to - it was an alternative way to Black Park from the top road when my Dad used to take us for walks.

There is a bit of a slope from where the Lodge was and Lower Barracks which would fit with a description of Nant

Gadget

PS - when was Lower Barracks built?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 February 09 19:45 GMT (UK) »
I have no idea when either the Top or Bottom Barracks were built or why, and I've come across a family member living in Middle Barracks, but that is the ony time I've come across the name. I did wonder if they were built as accomodation for the canal navies or the labourers building the GWR railway.
Your photo,( thanks for that,) reminded of my Dad, working nights regular at Black Park, used to leave Bronywaun sometime after 9.30pm, call to see his mother im Myddleton Terrace and then walk up Chirk Green and through Ley Farm along a bit of Green Lane to work, through all weathers and a second world war. I expect you could say something similar for your father, now there was a nice man!!
Don't know if you ever hear any news from Chirk, I hear bits occasionally which I can pass on if you are interested
Keith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 February 09 20:25 GMT (UK) »
I'll have to dig out the Neville Hurdsman book to  do a  check but I'm sure the housing around Halton/Black Park was built for the miners.

My Dad had some lovely stories about walking to the pits - he even walked to Ifton at one stage - from Chirk Green, via the lane by Manford's farm and and down to the Forge and then up to Ifton - and that was before they started their shifts.

We had it easy, didn't we!

It's lovely to talk to someone who knew my family and, yes, my Dad was a nice man  :)

I hear bits and pieces from Chirk - it's changed though  :-\

I think you have my e-mail  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 February 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Keith  :)

I've just been ferreting around in the Hurdsman book - no index (poor show!) so it was a flicking through the pages.

There is a section on The Lodge and  Chirk Castle Gardens (Whitehurst by our time). Aound this section is reference to Bryn yr Eos, which I mentioned earlier. He says that it was also known as The Hollow which had housing built originally for the workers at the brickworks in Newbridge.

The Hollow - is this The Nant/Pant ?

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 February 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been comparing the 1861 and 1851 censuses.

This is the 1861:

Chirk - District 14

All that Part of the Parish of Chirk which lies on the South ahd South East of the Afonfradley Brook and the east of the Holyhead Road and on the north of a line leading from the old Nailors Shop through Chirk Green to Brynkinallt Farm Yard and the Ley and along Green Lane through Halton to the Court including the little Ley all the houses in the Green Lane, Penypark, Black Park and Part of Chirk Green

Addresses ~

Chirk Green Cottages  (think that these where on the West side of Holyhead Road, opposite where New Rhosywaun is now)
Black Park Toll Bar
Black Park Coal Quay
Royal Oak Inn
The Lodge
The Nant
Penypark
Halton
Lower Halton
Green Lane

I think it was approx district 6c in 1851 but this starts at Halton and then Green Lane, Ley, Chirk Green, Wharf, Park Gate, then Black Prk again (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (pages of them),The Lodge, Woodside Cottages, Pentre, etc.

I now think that The Nant in 1861 is likely to have been Woodside Cottages in 1851 and this does look like the Bryn yr Eos/Whitehurst area - i.e between The Lodge and Pentre.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 February 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Now walked through the 1871 (District 14) -   Penypark, New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks,  The Lodge, Royal Oak ....

So it looks like The Nant in 1861 covered that area that was 'New Buildings (pages and pages), Woodside Cottages (2), Upper Barracks (pages), Lower Barracks (pages),Middle Barracks'  by 1871 - i.e all that area we know as 'The Barracks'

Gadget

Offline keithwynne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 February 09 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for going to the trouble of going through the 1871 census. I must have another look since I'm sure some of my lot had an address Woodside Cottages.
I'm waiting for a map of Chirk and surrounds circa 1873-5 where I hope to locate some of the properties and also to remind me of ones I have forgotten.
I have a certain difficulty using this Denbighshire site ( totally my fault) so would you mind sending me your e-mail address once again. I know you have already told me but I'm d---d if I can find it among the messages. Since you are the only correspondent to join in the Chirk census saga I think I will find it easier to write to you direct if you don't mind. I also have at least one other query involving Chirk which I doubt anyone else on the list may have an opinion.
Thanks so much for your help,
Keith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 February 09 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith

I'll send you my e-mail - i assume that your's hasn't changed in 3-4 years.

Re a new query - it might be best to post it on here. I think I'm the only one with lots of Chirk records/knowledge but you never know.

If you're having problems, have a read of some of these topics on the help pages:

http://www.rootschat.com/help/index.php

Gadget