Author Topic: Immigrants to Melbourne  (Read 16156 times)

Offline roma from alex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrants to Melbourne
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 01:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ferryman from Alexandra in Victoria Australia, near Yea.   There is an obituary in the local paper
dated 21 Dec 2016 for Ross Harvey Sichlau, 22 March 1946-7December 2016.   Son of Maisie and Lou Sichlau (both dec.) of Yea. I can send you a full transcript if you would like it. Roma of Alex

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 02:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alex and welcome to Rootschat

Ferryman hasn't used Rootschat since 2013 but I think a message would be sent regarding your post today.  Hopefully there'll be a reply.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roma from alex

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith.   It was a long shot on my part.   I am Roma btw.   'from Alex' means 'from Alexandra'.

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandpa John 1836-1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 03 January 17 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roma, hello Judith. Yes I'm still around, just about, having personally discovered our history of heart disease like so many Scottish families. I did notice its prevalence in many death certificates during research but 2014 really brought our medical history to life ... er, maybe that's not the phrase but my surgeons did a wonderful job on my plumbing.

The story of my family's Australian emigrants was by far the highlight of our history. In 1872 my greatx3 aunt Margaret Goddard's daughter Louisa married Emil Theodore Sichlau (1844-1910) a Norwegian emigrant from Oslo and the family moved to Geelong, where they had three children. Louisa died in 1902 aged only 50, and her son Louis died at 35, which makes me wonder if they too inherited our cardiac history. Her husband Emil died in 1910 aged 65. All are buried in Geelong Cemetery, where the very kind staff sent me a picture of their headstone.

I did not follow the Sichlau connection further but I would like to have copy of the obit. If the Sichlau family would like to have our story from North Queensferry in Fife to Australia, which is part of their history too, they would be very welcome, as indeed is anyone else as it could never have been written without the help of so many in Oz -- thanks again!

Roma, I shall send you a PM.  Best wishes for 2016 to you all.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Duh!  Sorry Roma I think I had a mental blank!

Sorry Ferryman to hear that you have had difficulties with inherited health. My husband's family has had similar problems which are now fully treatable but not in the days of his forebears.

Roma may have to make another post before the PM system will work.

You may have these - there are mentions in local and other newspapers of the SICHLAUs
For example, here is the marriage notice for Maisie (nee Templeton) and Louis SICHLAU, October, 1942
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/12000569
and the birth notice for Ross Harvey Sichlau whose obit was mentioned by Roma

To search go to
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 03:29 GMT (UK) »
This article says that Louisa,  d 1902, aged 50, was thought to be recovering rapidly from a 'difficult operation' when she 'took a turn for the worse'
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/149747871?

An obit for Emil Theodroe SICHLAU, d Feb 1910
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/150696317

Death Notice for Louis Theodre SICHLAU, d Nov 1913 says he died 'after a short illness" - not much help there in fnding the cause of death!
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/7253540

Judith

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 04 January 17 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
You may have this but I took a wee look in the Norwegian Church Books and found Emil's birth record. He was born 9 Jan 1844 and baptized 22 Jan 1844. His parents were Carl Sichlau and Sara Emilie Larsen:
http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060217020831.jpg

Ian

Offline Ferryman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great-grandpa John 1836-1900
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 05 January 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm very touched that so many of you are still prepared to share news of your findings. I am not following up the Sichlau connection as I tied up the last McRitchie link in 2012 and published our family history in a book FERRIES TO FINERY: the McRitchie Family 1650-1914. A copy was sent to the Victoria State Library.

The most fascinating chapter is the one dealing with my gt-gt-gtaunts Margaret and Christina who emigrated to Australia in 1847. At that time so many Scots were emigrating that a steamer ran between Leith north of Edinburgh and Tilbury near London. Britain's railway network was only beginning and the emigrant sailing ships left from Tilbury because steam did not have the range. They then continued around the world for the return journey to take advantage of the prevailing winds, calling at St Helena for provisions en route.

This chapter could not have been written without the help of the Rootschat community, particularly Sue and Jenn. The emigrants' story now forms a 19Mb PDF file and I would be delighted to mail it to any Rootschatter who sends me their email addy by PM.

Best wishes everyone, and thanks again!   Michael

Offline MSN1998

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 18 October 21 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'd really like to know more about the Sichlau-connection ;-) As I myself is a Sichlau.