Author Topic: Spencer & Brophy Families in Laois  (Read 6775 times)

Offline Spencer59

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spencer & Brophy Families in Laois
« on: Friday 27 February 09 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking into the origins of my Great Great Grandparents Henry and Anne (Brophy) Spencer who came from Ireland. Henry was born about 1811 and Anne around 1821. Both were of the Roman Catholic religion.

There were a family of Brophy's who were Stonemasons who moved from Roseanalis. Co Laois to Vicarstown in the same County. This was at the same time as the canal was been built there. My gt gt grandad Henry Spencer was also a stonemason and records show that a Henry Spencer also lived in Roseanalis. He married Ann Brophy around 1835 and she may have been part of the above family?

Around 1854, along with their children Susan, Lucy, George, Mary, Ann, Ellen, Margaret and Elizabeth, the family sailed to Liverpool from Newry and eventually settled in the North of England where Agnes (Preston), Julia, Henry jnr (Blackburn) and Joseph (Bradford) were born.

If anyone has any information on the above family I would be pleased to know.

Offline MarthaR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Spencer & Brophy Families in Laois
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Bridget Brophy she married John Conroy.  I know very little about Bridget but know she and John lived in Queens County (Clonaslee).  There children were born from 1857-1876.  Childrens names are:  Edward, Thomas, Anne, Mary, Honora, Eliza, Bridget, James and Margaret.  Given the children's birth years I would guess Bridget was born around 1830.  If you have come across her name in your Brophy search and have any parent/sibling info I would love to see it.
Legier, Crowley, Conroy, Daly, Delehanty, Bree, Dunn, Williams, Brophy

Offline simonnoel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am descended from the Brophys of Vicarstown and I believe that you are correct about them being Stonemasons and originally from Skerry Roseanallis Co. Laois. I do not know if your Brophy is from our line. My earliest confirmed Brophy is Mark whose first child was born in 1839. There was either a Sister or an Aunt called Margaret who married a Behan and had a son Mark in 1815. In the tithe applotment books of about 1827 theres a Bryan and a Mark Brophy in Moyanna/Vicarstown and we believe that this is the same Mark Brophy. We do not know how Bryan was related but assume he was a brother. However the name Bryan Brophy does not appear as a family name after that. Please contact me and we can explore this further. Simon

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 December 13 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

I am very sorry but spencer's email address looks like it is not working, his notification are bouncing to us :'( I was unable to find a new address for him.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk