Author Topic: Lauder's, Perthshire.  (Read 17736 times)

Offline narellewalker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lauder's, Perthshire.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 November 09 05:08 GMT (UK) »
continued.
David Married Catherine Ross Miller  and died in New Zealand on 7/7/1924.  They had William Lauder bn 14/11/1878, Alexander Lauder bn 7/3/1880, David Lauder bn 1881 and Margaret Lauder bn 12/8/1885 and another unknown.  David emmigrated in NZ on the Nelson which arrived at Port Chalmers 26/12/1875.
Emmigrated from Glasgow to Lylttleton on Jessie Osborne on 6 Nov 1875 and arrived on 30 Jan 1876.  After Jane died in 1884, he apparently left Ireland & Co, flourmillers in Oamaru and went north to look for better work. He was apparently killed in a railway accident shortly afterwards although there is no death record or certificate. The 4 children were fostered by a family named Wylie in Oamaru. Apparently David and John did not always see eye to eye, possible why they did not take the 4 orphaned children.
John McKay Lauder was born in Falkirk, Scotland on 18 November 1852. Falkirk is a small village in Perthshire some 30 kilometres from Glasgow where his father William Lauder grew up. John was the second son of William and Janet (nee McKay) who had a family of seven. Little is known of William's background at this time, except that he was one of seven children of David Lauder and Margaret Anderson who were born around 1788. Jane was born Jane Bradley on 21 October 1849. She was the third of a family of five to John Bradley and Elizabeth Robb who lived in nearby Perth.

John was a Candle Maker by trade. He married Jane on 24 June 1874 in Perth. Records of their children born in Scotland are somewhat vague. Information passed down through the family suggests that they had two children who both died in their infancy. However, International Genealogical Index (IGI) records held by the Mormon Church and the absence of any children in the shipping records confirm that only one child was born to them in February 1875. She was christened Jane Bradley Lauder, however, she died on 29 June 1875 at the age of only 4 months. A headstone in her memory stands in the Perth cemetery. It also has an inscription on it recording the death of John's father, William, on 19 August 1891 at the age of 72 years. John and Jane erected the headstone presumably before they emigrated to New Zealand. William's inscription was added later by some other family member who remained in Scotland.

Whether it was the tragedy of losing their little daughter or the fact that John's brother similarly moved to New Zealand, John and Jane decided to emigrate to New Zealand. They came on the Jessie Osborne, a vessel of 1056 tons under Captain Falconer from Glasgow on 6 November 1875. The ship's manifest records John and Jane's passage which brought them to Lyttleton on 30 January 1876. It appears that John followed his brother, David Lauder, to Oamaru where David had separately emigrated on the Nelson, which arrived at Port Chalmers on 26 December 1875. David was a single man when he came to New Zealand, however, he married some two years later.

It appears that both John and David worked in the Oamaru flour milling business owned by Ireland and Company.The mill was adjacent to the Severn Street Bridge that is now State Highway No 1. The mill building was pulled down some years ago. The site has a Mitre Ten store on it today.

As noted earlier in this narrative, this was where the Lauder family as we now know it, established its roots with the arrival of four children to John and Jane.

"John Lauder and his brother David did not always agree and John, hearing of a better job further north, left Oamaru to see about it. Unfortunately there was a train accident where an unknown man lost his life and it was often thought that John Lauder was that man. He was never heard of again."

There is no death certificate for John. Merv Lauder, a great grandson of John has carried out an extensive search of various records to establish the circumstances of John's death, however, to date there is no better record than that provided by John's granddaughter, Margaret McNaughton.

"John Lauder and his brother David did not always agree and John, hearing of a better job further north, left Oamaru to see about it. Unfortunately there was a train accident where an unknown man lost his life and it was often thought that John Lauder was that man. He was never heard of again."

There is no death certificate for John. Merv Lauder, a great grandson of John has carried out an extensive search of various records to establish the circumstances of John's death, however, to date there is no better record than that provided by John's granddaughter, Margaret McNaughton.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 November 09 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Thought I would throw this in the melting pot.
Have just obtained marriage for ..

Alexander Lauder and Jeanie Brownlie 1903 at Stirling.
Jeanie is my line !!!

Alexanders parents are given as David Lauder occ farm grieve and Mary Ann Finlayson, Alexander is age 20 so approx date of birth 1883..but where ?? his address is Carse of Cambus, Doune and his occ is "barman".
Jeannies address is given as Graham St, Doune.

Over to you Kenny  ;D

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 November 09 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Now have marriage for David Lauder and Mary Ann Finlayson.
Married 03 Mar 1882 at Ardoch in Perthshire. Age given for David 24 so approx birth would be 1858. occupation ploughman.

Parents given as Alexander Lauder occ railway surface man

Janet Lauder m.s. Campbell.

Parents Mary Ann Finlayson are James Finlayson occ looks like Tkck Railway Station and Ann Reid. Mary Ann's age given as 27 so approx dob 1855.

Regards Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 November 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat.
Don't know if I have said before (my comp' crashed and I lost a lot of data)
Alexander and Jeanie are my Grandparents.

Kenny

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 November 09 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny - I don't think we had established that fact, we had got as far as the Connelly's from Sweetie Lane.

Jeanie was the daughter of Maggie Stewart..was Connelly..then King.
Her grandparents were Robert Stewart and Jean Ferguson, my g/g/grandparents.

Anything I can do re lost data ??

What happened with Alex and Jeanie, how man y children etc etc, as you know cannot get much info after 1901  ;D and would be interested to know.

Regards Pat

Offline Anna Moir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 21 June 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Helen Lauder who married John Doig in 1799 in Clunie. This couple appear to have moved into Blairgowrie in 1810ish. No idea what happened to John, but he appears to be dead by 1841. Helen is still alive and living in Spalding Square with her widowed daughter and grandchildren. I believe she is the daughter of George Lauder, but not the George Lauder (tailor) who married Elizabeth Clerk in Little Dunkeld.

I've done a lot of work on the Lauders in the Little Dunkeld, Blairgowrie, Clunie, Caputh region over the last year or so prior to briefly visiting Perthshire in May this year.

For those of you interested in the George Lauder/Elizabeth Clerk line, I think I've cracked a little bit about your lot too... mainly because I have a dear friend who is descended from their supposed daughter Amelia (and I don't think she belongs to them at all... but that's for another post).

My Helen Lauder had at least four sisters, though probably by different mothers. These girls were:
- Christian b1771 Caputh
- (my Helen in here, no bp yet found)
- Janet b 1775 (died as a child/baby) Caputh
- Agnes b 1777 Caputh, died pre 1855 but had a son William Campbell (1811-1866)
- Janet b 1780 d 1858 Blairgowrie, but is buried in Clunie. Unmarried. Informant was William Campbell, who states her parents were George Lauder and Christian Inches.

Amelia Lauder as mentioned above married John Scrimgeour. No idea what happened to her either, but I do know the widowed John Scrimgeour and daughter were living in the same house as my widowed Helen Lauder and her children and grandchildren on both the 1841 and 1851 census. The house was Spalding Square, Blairgowrie, which my friend and I believe is now 16 Perth Street. Can anyone confirm this? I'm having trouble doing so through the usual property records such as Post Office Directories and Valuation Rolls.

Anyway, we can't yet prove there is a connection between the two George Lauder families in this area, but are convinced there is one. Certainly Amelia Lauder's family and my Helen's family definitely knew each other not only in Blairgowrie, but also lived in Cothill Cottage near Forneth at about the same time as well.

I would love to hear from anyone else researching these two families.
Brans, Winwick, Lauder, Moir, Doig, Holbrook

Offline hebbie72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 10 April 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Awfully interested in what research youve done re the George lauder(s) above. I was wondering who you might be ...then seeing your research Interests at the bottom of your post I vaguely remembered the surname Winwick from the early years of searching my genealogy and my brother Ewan was in touch with Robyn in Australia via Bruce Doig. And then Anna Moir and all the research youd done on her came back to me (I think I remember reading some of your articles in the Tay Valley FHS booklet) anyway I better go and walk the dog and then get the garden tidied up. Making the most of what's supposed to be a sunny day in Glasgow 😄 best wishes,
George hebenton

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 24 October 19 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All.
 I know, Long time since i have been on.
If any of you are still using this website , please bear with me and i'll try and get back up to speed with things over the next few weeks. Kenny