Author Topic: Paleography Help! Completed - Thanks  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paleography Help!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 06 March 09 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Good morning

I think the two queries on JAP's post 25 might be "them off"

Regards

Roger

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 06 March 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Roger, I thought that too but it's different from the usual 'them'.

Peter, I wasn't referring to the scan but to the transcription i.e. sections of the scans of the document are missing from your transcription:)

JAP

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 06 March 09 08:50 GMT (UK) »
JAP, I see what you mean. Also four lines down there is a word very similar to the one I thought was "off" in a context where it could hardly be anything else than "of".

So it looks like "hem of" whatever that may mean !

Roger

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 06 March 09 17:33 GMT (UK) »
I think we have something like this so far - corrections welcome

"Mary Taylor al[ia]s Syner the wyfe of Thomas Taylor al[ia]s Syner of Bentall in the Countie of Salop yeoman aged xxv [25] yeares or thereabouts sworne and examined sayeth as folow(e)th vizt

To the ff(i)rst Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that she knoweth the compl(ainan)t and Richard Wilcocks and Francis Langley def(endants) and hath also seene John Malpas and Charles Morgan in this Inter(rogato)rie named.

To the ixth [9th] Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that on Wednesday the said xxiith [22nd] day of May in the third yeare of his Ma(jes)ties rigne [1605] she this dep(onen)t coming to Colepitt Hill aboute xien or xiith [11 or 12] of the clocke in the f? the same day did then and there see the said John Malpas & Charles Morgan standing havinge their bills in their hands and did see the s(ai)d compl(aina)nt Mr. Clifford, William Wilcocke of Broseley, the wyfe of Richard Yeats of Broseley afores(ai)d , Bennett Taylor, Ann the wyfe of John Adams and Rees the constable of Brosely and divers others standinge about the s(ai)d Malpas and Morgan and the said Compl(ainan)t bade them laye hands hould on the said Malpas & Morgan and the sayd Malpas & Morgan keeping  them of ? their bills will(e)d them that they shou(l)d lay noe hands on them sayinge that they would goe w(i)th them before any Justice of peace and sayued that they were to choose before what Jus???
Justice of peace to goe and before ? then they would showe their warrant they had for for that w(hic)h they had done.

To the xviith Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that upon the xxiiith [23rd] day of May in the third year of his Ma(jes)ties raiyne she this dep(onen)t coming to Colepits Hill did there see the said Malpas and Morgan and the said Mr. Clifford the Compl(ainan)t, John Clifford the younger, Jefferey Hall, John the husbandman, John Watts the horskeeper and divers other men and women, the constables wyefe and others. And sayeth that before her cominge thither she said Mr. Clifford and his said company had taken one of them and then at her cominge the said Mr. Cliffords company were poring? at the other w(i)th their wepons to take hym, who defended hymselfe w(i)th his bill. And further sayeth that the s(ai)d Mr. Clifford and his company did compass about the same other of the said two persons with one they had not taken for to have taken him.

To the xixth Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that at the same tymme, she did see stones cast at the other of the said two persons that were not taken & did see that he was stricken w(i)th one of them upon the brest w(hi)ch stones were throwen at hym by some of them that stood in company with the said Mr. Clifford but by whom she knoweth not -/ -/

To the xxth Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that at the same tyme she did see one of them either Malpas or Morgan having a hurte or wounde on his head and a cut upon his face.

To the xxith Inter(rogato)rie she sayeth that after the affray ended and before the capture of the said Malpas & Morgan from Colepitt Hill a gent cominge that way whom she hath heard to be called Edward M?  Esquire then one his Ma(jes)ties Justices of Peace w(it)hin the said countie of Salop, then th? the said Malpas and Morgan confessed before hym their names and ? that they were the Dep(uties?) Mr. Lacons servants and sent thither by his appointment & direction and said ? that there said he would beare them out."

11 or 12 of the clock in the ? - it does look like forenone (fore noon?) Sorry superscript seems to get lost in the pasting from Word.

Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 06 March 09 17:58 GMT (UK) »
I think Mr Clifford and his companions might have been poking their weapons at the chap they hadn't actually captured. Possibly spelt "pocing", but I fancy there is the shadow of a k. Probably a look at the pre-scan version would clarify that?

Roger

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 March 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
That was my first thought but then I wondered if it was a mis-hear for pawing.

Offline Roger in Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 March 09 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, that k was definitely only a fancy!

It now looks to me like either r or c, but hard to say which, except I can't think of a weapon one could paw or pour at someone standing near, while there are several one could poke.

Roger

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 18:24 GMT (UK) »
It seems a pocing iron was a poker so I'll settle with that.

Peter