Author Topic: HMS Anking WW2  (Read 43315 times)

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Anking WW2
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

My Uncles name is Eric Wilde - SSX20700

Thanks

Wendy, I will do some digging tonight when I get home, but your Uncle is listed as follows

Sultan, during Singapore evacuation, lost in various ships and circumstances
WILDE, Eric, Ordinary Seaman, D/SSX 20700, MPK

He may have been an survivor of the Anking, I will see what I have on file tonight.

Phil

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Eric's memorial states Sultan, but this is his pay station.  He was on Tenedos, but he was lent to FSA and DSA (I do not know what this means) and he was lent to Anking 26/1/42 to 28/2/42.  The last date for Eric on the Navy Ledger was 28/2/1942 and they are unable to locate him after the 28/2/42, that is why I am wondering if he was on the Anking when torpedoed.  They have noted Presumed D.D 31st March 1942 HMS Sultan (Batavia) on war service.
Mum thought he was captured, escaped, caught then killed but I have not been able to verify this.
It would be nice to have more correct information.

Thanks

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Eric's memorial states Sultan, but this is his pay station.  He was on Tenedos, but he was lent to FSA and DSA (I do not know what this means) and he was lent to Anking 26/1/42 to 28/2/42.  The last date for Eric on the Navy Ledger was 28/2/1942 and they are unable to locate him after the 28/2/42, that is why I am wondering if he was on the Anking when torpedoed.  They have noted Presumed D.D 31st March 1942 HMS Sultan (Batavia) on war service.
Mum thought he was captured, escaped, caught then killed but I have not been able to verify this.
It would be nice to have more correct information.

Thanks

Evening Wendy.  HMS Anking was as you state a shore base.  The interesting this about your Uncles records are that on the 28th Feb, the Anking was at sea, so I am more inclined to believe that he left the ship in Java, bit I suspecct that the only way would be to obtaon the crew agreements from the National Archives,

I will do some more digging though

Phil

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 February 10 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil, How did you go with your 'digging" to see if Eric was on Anking when it was torpedoed?  I think he would have been on it, as his records state he was 'lent' to the Anking until 28th Feb 1942, and as Singapore fell on 15th Feb I would be curious to know how he got back to Singapore and why.  Thank you for your help.
 Janet

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 February 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil, How did you go with your 'digging" to see if Eric was on Anking when it was torpedoed?  I think he would have been on it, as his records state he was 'lent' to the Anking until 28th Feb 1942, and as Singapore fell on 15th Feb I would be curious to know how he got back to Singapore and why.  Thank you for your help.
 Janet

Not yet Wendy, hopefully have some free time tommorrow

P

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 March 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
 Janet

Not yet Wendy, hopefully have some free time tommorrow

P

Wendy, have emailed a contact of mine, who may have access to the vrew agreement

P

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phil, I have had a lot  of brick walls in the whole of my family research, and you are having one for me, I appreciate and value your help.
Janet

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 March 10 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Wendy, no luck I am afraid, as Hugh has come back and informed me that crew Agreements where not completed for Royal Navy Ships, but has pointed out a number of files at the national archive.  Only thing is that you would need to go to Kew to view them.

As far as I am aware, there where only Survivors from the convoy that Anking was part of, and they were picked up by a Dutch Sumbarine, and taken to Columbo, Ceylon.

I think that it is more likely that your Uncle left was on board one of the many ships that left Jakarta on the 26th / 27th Feb, but not as a member of the crew hence why he is listed under HMS Sultan

P

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 March 10 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that is a great help and now I know why the Navy have no record of him after the 28th of Feb 1942.  He certainly was on a number of different ships during that time according to his records.

Janet