Author Topic: HMS Anking WW2  (Read 43321 times)

Offline Jamesshepherdsbush

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Anking WW2
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 May 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any extant records for this vessel. I had an uncle who went down with her and wondered if there may be anything of interest to check out. He was called John Mercer.

Offline hannah1209

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 March 12 06:45 GMT (UK) »
im not sure if any would be interested but doing a school assignment and am using a relative of mines detailed diary of the sinking of the hms anking and his and a couple of other mens survival on a safety raft. it has some names of those who was on there too

Offline englandphil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 March 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
im not sure if any would be interested but doing a school assignment and am using a relative of mines detailed diary of the sinking of the hms anking and his and a couple of other mens survival on a safety raft. it has some names of those who was on there too

Hannah, if you come across any reference to either of thr two men below, I would be grateful to here from you, as well as see your final work.

BRODERICK, JOHN ERNEST, Ordinary Seaman, C/JX 300583
CLAYTON, HENRY, Stoker 2nd Class, D/KX 121022

Both men where from Widnes and perished in the sinking.

Henry Clayton was on the Repulse when it sank, but survived and made it to Singapore. When Singapore was invaded he managed to escape to Java, where he joined the crew of the Anking, only to be killed days later.

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 March 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hannah.

I am very interested in your project and would be interested in info in your relatives journals as I am looking for my uncle who was on the Anking but cannot verify if he was on her at the time of her sinking, his name is

WILDE, Eric, Ordinary Seaman, D/SSX 20700, MPK

Looking forward to the result of your project.

Janet Lea

Offline kirbs54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 April 12 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

Ref  Henry Clayton, this was my fathers older cousin and who my dad referred to as Harry.  My father was brought up by Harry's family,and treated him as his brother. Dad told me of a newspaper article in the Widnes Weekly News written by a friend of Harry's in the late 70s who said. He had been with Harry at the time of the sinking.

Offline Trotersr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 July 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have been researching my Father's war history. He was on board HMS Anking when it was sunk. He was one of two to four New Zealanders who survived the sinking. The Royal New Zealand Naval Museum has` provided me with a list of the 61 survivors which I can provide to anyone who wishes to obtain a copy. These survivors were picked up by "Sawali" and landed in Colombo.

My understanding is that my Father was sunk two or three times but I am having difficulty establishing the actual facts. He is shown as being with HMS Sultan from 22nd July 1941 but may well have been assigned to another ship whilst in Singapore. My recall is that he told me a long time ago that he was sunk off the Malaysian Penninsular and had to move through Japanese lines to return to Singapore. There are no records of what ship he may have been on. He also told me that he was evacuated from hospital in Singapore and that, his hospital ship was sunk despite there being appropriate red cross signage. Again I don't know any details of the ship. I guess he must have been picked up by "Anking" only to be sunk again.

Any additional information that can be provided about this episode would be much appreciated. Any information I can provide, please let me know.

Offline BHJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 July 12 20:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Trotersr,

My father was a survivor of the sinking of HMS Anking in March 1942.  He was RN during WW2, is still alive, and resides in Australia.  The Dutch ship that picked the survivors up was called Tawali.  My father would be very interested to see the survivor list that you have mentioned.

Offline Wendylea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 16 July 12 23:18 BST (UK) »
I too would like a copy of the survivors, my uncle Eric Wilde may have been on Anking, it was his assigned ship but he was lent to other ships.  Sultan was the pay station so all would have history with Sultan but were on other ships.  I live in Australia but am from NZ as my mum married a RNZAF pilot but she always was trying to find her brother and what happened to him she thought he survived the sinking of his ship and was killed  on land.

Offline Trotersr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 17 July 12 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Wendylea and BHJ, I too am a Kiwi living in Australia. We travel to Auckland 4 or five times each year for family and friends’ catchups. Eleven years ago I received papers from NZ Navy but haven’t really done much with them until now. I am happy to send you copies if you wish – please let me know. There are about 21 pages. They include
•   Exchange of emails with NZ Navy Public Relations based in Devonport
•   Report from Lieut. H.C. Robjohns who survived
•   Handwritten letter dated 25/7/46 from Robjohns enclosing the list of survivors who were picked up by “Sawali”
•   List of survivors picked up by “Sawali”
•   Two Reports of the events of the sinking from Stoker W.J. Satherley and LDG Stoker L.R. Wilson
•   Copy of article which appeared in the “Auckland Star” 4/4/42 regarding a letter my Dad sent to my Grandfather
•   Extract from Battle Summary dated 27th February 1942 headed “Battle of Java Sea”
•   Extract from Ministry of Defence Report “War with Japan” – headings “Fall of the Malay Barrier” and “Naval Evacuation of Java”
•   Letter 27/9/01 from Royal NZ Navy Museum
Wait to read if you, or anyone else, wish me to send copies of these papers.