Author Topic: Watts of Romsey  (Read 5188 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watts of Romsey
« on: Saturday 28 February 09 19:29 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother always maintained that she was decended from the Hymnwriter Isaac Watts, but all I have found is a  Isaac Watts bap 7 Jan 1727/8 Romsey who married Elizabeth Heaver, I am trying to locate parents of Isaac & their marriage.  I have Edward Watts & Elizabeth who could be the parents. 
Can anyone help me go back one generation.  I have three Isaac watts in the family, Isaac bap 14 Mar 1797, Isaac/Isaach born c 1765 Romsey? & Isaac born 7 Jan 1727/8.  I am trying to find out about these Isaacs.  They seem to be the right sort of area for Isaac Watts - Hymnwriter. I would be grateful for any help, as this as plagued me for so long.
It is strange that my family have inherited quite a few objects which belonged to the Hymnwriter - Isaac Watts.
Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Watts of Romsey
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 February 09 21:36 GMT (UK) »
On your other thread you mention Isaac married to Rebecca Archer.
You probably have this information already:
Family Search has that marriage - extracted 1787. He is presumably the one born 1765.

This has some information about Isaac Watts- it states he never married but was one of several children so your Isaac and family may be part of the extended family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 09 01:08 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother always maintained that she was decended from the Hymnwriter Isaac Watts, but all I have found is a  Isaac Watts bap 7 Jan 1727/8 Romsey who married Elizabeth Heaver, I am trying to locate parents of Isaac & their marriage.  I have Edward Watts & Elizabeth who could be the parents. 
Can anyone help me go back one generation.  I have three Isaac watts in the family, Isaac bap 14 Mar 1797, Isaac/Isaach born c 1765 Romsey? & Isaac born 7 Jan 1727/8.  I am trying to find out about these Isaacs.  They seem to be the right sort of area for Isaac Watts - Hymnwriter. I would be grateful for any help, as this as plagued me for so long.
It is strange that my family have inherited quite a few objects which belonged to the Hymnwriter - Isaac Watts.
Regards Trish

Hello,

Isaac Watts was born on 17 July 1674 son of Isaac and Sarah nee Taunton who had married in 1673 before  Isaac the Elder was imprisoned in Gods House Tower prison, Southampton, for his non-conformist faith. Isaac senior's father was Thomas and he was killed on board a ship as its commander. 

Isaac junior, the Hymn writer/poet, also non-conformist preacher, and the subject of the enquiry, was born in Southampton. It is not known where Isaac was christened, but probably in St Julien's Chapel in Winkle Street, Southampton, or at home at 41 French Street St.  Or as an adult elsewhere as was customary for many Dissenters. He never married, although it is known that  he proposed to an Elizabeth Singer who turned him down.

St Juliens is a Huguenot church and Sarah Taunton was the descendant of a Huguenot. One of her relatives founded Taunton's College in Southampton
Isaac Watts had 6 siblings. Richard, Enoch, Thomas, Sarah, and 2 Marys. 

Isaac  died in 1748 in London.  There is a statue to him in what is now called Watts Park, Southampton as well as other commemorations elsewhere.

Hope this is useful.
Yours
Vicwinann

Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 09 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info, although I have researched all that, as I thought I might be able to find the connection , this didnt happen. 
I am back to Isaac Watts who married Elizabeth Heaver 20.5.1755 Romsey,   What I need to find is the parents of Isaac Watts, ch 7.1.1727/8 Romsey, but they seem to have disapeared from the area.  Would be grateful for some help with this, as I seem to be going around in circles.
regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi you mention below that Isaach/Isaac born 1765.  I have his marriage to Rebecca Archer 9.11.87 Romsey, his death 3.3.1793 Romsey.  But dont have his birth so would be grateful for this info.  Regards Trish

On your other thread you mention Isaac married to Rebecca Archer.
You probably have this information already:
Family Search has that marriage - extracted 1787. He is presumably the one born 1765.

This has some information about Isaac Watts- it states he never married but was one of several children so your Isaac and family may be part of the extended family.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
I just got the information from Family Search and there doesn't seem to be an entry for the one you want- sorry.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Beldame

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 April 09 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish

Isaac Watts ch 7 Jan 1728/29 parents Edward & Elizabeth Watts

Hope this helps

Beldame

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 April 09 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for confirming my belief, however you wouldnt know what the maiden name of Elizabeth Watts was?

regards Trish

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage licence allegation for an Edward Watts of Romsey, tanner, and Elizabeth Leward, also of Romsey, dated 6 March 1724.  The marriage was to take place at Romsey, Hursley or 'the Cathedral' by which I assume it to mean Winchester Cathedral.

It is possible that it did take place at Winchester Cathedral on the same day that the licence was granted, but the transcription that I have has Elizabeth's surname as How.  My advice would be to check the original if at all possible!

Of course - this may be the wrong marriage!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk