Author Topic: ALLEDEN Peterborough/ Wisbech?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline agriff2wim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ALLEDEN Peterborough/ Wisbech?
« on: Saturday 28 February 09 23:09 GMT (UK) »
My g g great-grandmother Frances Alledden (Aleaden) married Thomas Tipler in Peterborough in 1839. Her father was shown as William Aleaden (deceased), a tailor. In the 1881 census her date of birth is shown as Wisbech.
The spelling of the surname is rather flexible, and was included in the names of some of their children. A grandchild even named his house in Peterborough Alleden, suggesting there was some pride in the name.
I have searched the records at Peterborough, Wisbech, and the Cambridgeshire records in general, but have not been able to find details of Frances of her father William.
Can anyone help, pleae?   

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: ALLEDEN Peterborough/ Wisbech?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 09 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have found them on 1851, 61 and 71 censuses.  Do you have this information already?  If not let me know and I will transcribe it for you

Sandgrounder
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline agriff2wim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 March 09 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the offer, but I have all the details of Frances and the Tipler family in Peterborough etc. from the late 18th century to present date. It is only Frances Alleden's  pre-marriage details which have me stumped.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm having real troubles finding anything about this surname - bmd, census, parish records, a2a, etc.
Who were the witnesses to the marriage?

I'm beginning to wonder if it might be found with a spelling like "Elleden" (Ealden, even?).
Was Frances' marriage in the parish church? If there were no nonconformist links in the family, what you probably need to do is look at the parish records for both St. Mary and St. Peter Wisbech (some St. Mary records are on the IGI, none of St. Peters, though), for all girls name Frances or with middle name Frances around the right time period.

There seem to have been several active nonconformist churches/chapels in Wisbech at the time, which is why I'm asking.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 17:59 GMT (UK) »
From the censuses - approx when was she born?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
If she was baptised in Cambs she should be on the Cambs Baptism Index 1801-37 at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html . But I can't see her. I have the CDrom of this index which has more flexible search options, and I can't find her under A.. or E..

I'll see if I can pull out all references to Frances as suggested by jorose

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline agriff2wim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 09 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I hope the following information will help you in your efforts to help me.
I have trawled through the Cambridheshire CD's before, looking at every Frances for a possible match - but failed to find anything suitable. I also visited Wisbech and looked through all the records that I could find there for any Frances. By now desperation and dejection were setting in!
Frances and Thomas Tipler were married at the parish church in Peterborough on 29.10.1839, and had a number of their children christened there.
The census information and her death certificate suggest she was born around 1814/1816.
She could not write when she married, so the spelling of her surname is probably a 'best guess'. Give that she might have also had a Wisbech area accent it would be easily mis-interpreted, which makes it more difficult.
I am wondering if she may have come from an immigrant family, bearing in mind the port-connections of the area.
Thanks once again...

Offline Searcher1969

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 October 09 00:24 BST (UK) »
My g g great-grandmother Frances Alledden (Aleaden) married Thomas Tipler in Peterborough in 1839. Her father was shown as William Aleaden (deceased), a tailor. In the 1881 census her date of birth is shown as Wisbech.
The spelling of the surname is rather flexible, and was included in the names of some of their children. A grandchild even named his house in Peterborough Alleden, suggesting there was some pride in the name.
I have searched the records at Peterborough, Wisbech, and the Cambridgeshire records in general, but have not been able to find details of Frances of her father William.
Can anyone help, pleae?   

I have just found Roots and have seen your enquiry about William Aleaden. I have today received the marriage certificate. I have read his employment as being sailor which might suggest a Scandinavian root. Presumably he married and died in the UK.

Have you made any progress in finding him.  He is my great ..... great grandfather via Tipler, Duddington chain.

Regards

Nigel Lumley

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline agriff2wim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 October 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
Wow. Brilliant news. Please tell me more about the marriage, as I have never been able to find any information about him.
I am interested in your Tipler/Duddington connection. I am directly related to the Tipler's, but have also done some research on the Duddington's.
Regards
Audrey