Author Topic: 1818 - Parish Registers - MacLean  (Read 20468 times)

Offline cyndiedunn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1818 - Parish Registers - MacLean
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 March 09 18:51 GMT (UK) »
HEY!!!!
yes that is definitely her!!!
now, how come she shows a birth in England?

Is that because at that time Northern Ireland was considered part of it ... I was reading something about that.  But it is odd, isn't it?

But that solves the Mary last name problem ... my gut told me she was a Reid.
So Margaret is a sister, not a cousin, and she married 1861, so it still didn't help me narrow down their year of arrival, but wow, this is awesome!

I have access to that site too, but I've just not focused on that generation.  Perhaps I should be going back to that generation and checking all of (a) John's siblings ... maybe there are family trees posted that could help too.

Thank You!

Aghadowey ... I have death registrations in Canada, the ones written in books, as found in ancestry ... and I've printed the actual copies on microfische, but have no death certificates.  I think that those early ones ... didn't exist in the sense they do today.  But I will recheck that because John died in 1903.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 20 March 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't worry too much about 'England' as the birthplace- remember the the information in death records is only what the informant, not the deceased, reports.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cyndiedunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 March 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »

Question ...

we have a kilmoyle townland in Dunluce parish ... and there's a ballycregagh there too, right, agadowey?

I wonder, how far apart are these townlands?  Is it possible that we are dealing with McLeans that are related and in the same area ... perhaps cousins?

Also, I came across a census ... not sure if it was part of an 1851 Ireland census, or if it was here in Ontario ... I can't find it now ... (pretty sure it looks like an ontario census ... but it showed:

Daniel McLean Farmer  born Ireland   55  Presbyterian
Jane McLean                 born Ireland   33
Margaret Ann McLean   born Ireland   27

1851 would be after Mary died, so this would be John's dad and sisters, here in Ontario I think, just before they married (I have their marriages now)

So, now ... wondering ... is there a census or something before 1848 ... that I could look at in Ireland?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 March 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Fragments of 1851 Co. Antrim census do survive- see here:
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369523.0.html

Not sure of distance between Kilmoyle and Ballycregagh- will take a look at townlands map in my collection tomorrow.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Douglas McLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 February 21 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I expect this thread is dead, but if not, I am interested in getting any additional information on the parentage of brothers John (b.c. 1792) and Daniel (b. 1796) who were born in County Antrim and whose ancestors emigrated from Mull. (See my post re. MacLeans of Coll who emigrated to Antrim.)

Regards,
Douglas McLean

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 February 21 07:47 GMT (UK) »
I expect this thread is dead, but if not, I am interested in getting any additional information on the parentage of brothers John (b.c. 1792) and Daniel (b. 1796) who were born in County Antrim and whose ancestors emigrated from Mull. (See my post re. MacLeans of Coll who emigrated to Antrim.)

See also this thread-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=844221.0
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo