Author Topic: Any Maye family  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Yellabelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any Maye family
« on: Sunday 01 March 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Are there any descendants of the Maye family left in America families members originally came from Ireland possibly in 1920/30's

Possible names Flo and Bea

Or even any ideas on how I could track them down!!

Thank you

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any Maye family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 March 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Assuming these people are not living, you could give us whatever detail you have - date/place of birth, nearest relatives, occupations, etc., and we could see what we could find.

Offline Yellabelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 March 09 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that
I have copied the information I have below and is also posted on the Irish section.
I have checked the civil register for BDM and can only find one Michael James Maye.
I have always assumed that Flo was short for Florence and Bea was Beatrice and that was how Bea was spelt it could of course just been the letter B
My mum used to say that the sisters ran away because "they didn't want to be sold" I took this to be a dowry !?
I don't know if they have any brothers or more sisters.

you always think you will have plenty of time to talk to the family about their families then you find it's too late.

Hi, I am new to this site and am trying to track down my Grandfathers family. He was called Michael James Maye, born circa 18th December 1910 in Ireland some family members seem to think he was from the Sligo area. He emigrated to England in mid 1920's with 3 friends. I seem to remember him having at least 2 sisters called "Flo" and "Bea" who apparently "ran away to America"  There has been talk of a family farm. I would really love to find some information about him and his family if anyone can help Please.

Thank you in anticipation 

Did he marry in England? His marriage certificate would give you his father's name.

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
 - has a Michael James Maye in the Ireland civil registration indexes, registered Jan-Mar quarter 1911 in Swinford Registration District (Mayo). This could possibly be him. 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Yellabelly
RootsChat Extra

~~~~~~~~
I posted request the other day for information about my grandfather family
His name was Michael James Maye

Its amazing when you start to think about things you remember little bits of information.

Back in the mid 1960's his sisters Flo and Bea (i always assumed they were both his sisters) visited him in Skegness England. Around 1969/1971 His nephew John came to England from America with his wife and also visited Skegness I was only a child at the time but I can remember both events the first one because it was the first time I every heard an American accent! It is possible that one of them had a home in London, the second because John called by us children (uncle John) was tall and came I believe from the Boston area and we spent the evening at the fair and eating fish and chips (not something we did ) he also gave my brothers and I a half dollar each.

Does anyone out there have any idea who these people from my childhood were ?

Offline margan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 August 10 22:20 BST (UK) »
My mother's name was Ellen Maye.  She was from Kilkelly, Mayo, immigrated to Chicago in the late 1940s.