Author Topic: Germany: wagner came from germany to uk  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Germany: wagner came from germany to uk
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 April 09 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Glad to hear you got a bit more info- every little helps as they say.

1841 census shows the family living in Broadmead Bristol in the parish of St James
Christopher Wagner age 50 Musician born Foreign Parts
Fred                          age 25 Musician
HJ ?                           age 20 Musician
Christian                   age 17 Musician
Christopher              age 24 Musician
Fred ?                       age 15 Musician

All born Foreign Parts

Class: HO107; Piece 372; Book: 5; Civil Parish: St James; County: Gloucestershire; Enumeration District: 11; Folio: 54; Page: 7; Line: 24

They are living in a household with two other families-  the Knight family - head of which was a Victualler

It is possible that the family arrived in England as Bristol as the port of entry. Maybe Bristol Record Office have some information on the family.

Still waiting for Burial disc for Weston super Mare to look up for you.

All the best
Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline pixiechick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 April 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
Yes that is the census I found and thought it must be our Christopher.  On the certificate of arrival it shows Dover as the port of arrival via Belgium so what made them decide on going on to Bristol who knows.
I have just had the Weston super Mare burials via someone on Ancestry and unfortunately there is no inscription on his grave. He was buried 4th March 1893 grave no Tc 3771, she was however able to provide burial info on his family which was helpful.
So Christopher remains elusive!  :-\  I am hoping Bristol records will have something !

Offline pixiechick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 June 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue
My last post seems to have disappeared so apologies if you have received this.
I think we have a lead on Christoph.
Another lady who is related to Christoph have not given up on trying to find his roots.  She has tried following the others that were with him on certificate of arrival.  The one (Gottfried Seidenstucker) is from Kahla, Thuringia, Saxony and she has found a Christoph Wagner b 1822 Zwickau and Friedrick 1787 Meerane. These could potentially be our Christoph and his father.
We need to find out if the above Christoph came to the UK in 1840 landing in Dover along with Elizabeth, Christian, Friedrich and Heinrich Wagner plus Heinrich Blank.  Also in 1842 the group were Friedrich Christian, George and Heinrich Wagner plus Gottfried Seidenstucker, Ignaz Ochs, Joseph Hartmann, George and Julien Schmidt again arriving in Dover via Belgium all musicians.

We are wondering if you could point us in the right direction to find out how to trace these facts and also if Christoph b 1822 Zwickau had siblings by the above names.  A long shot I know but it seems to be the only lead so far as there are no documents and no one in the family knows where Christophs roots are.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks