Author Topic: 1861 Census Now online !!!!!!!  (Read 6721 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census at 1837online
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 February 05 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Everyone who's posted on this item might be interested to know that the current issue (March)of 'Your Family Tree' advertises that their next issue's cover feature will be 'The 1861 census online! your exclusive guide to this brand new online resource.'

I'm not interested in giving them free publicity but it presumably refers to 1837 online and I'm wondering if it will give us an idea of their timetable for making different counties available.

jill.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline birch1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 01:22 GMT (UK) »

The 1861 census is not bad on the 1837online, On my search
the details were wrong. But you can change or notify 1837online.

They did refund me with credits. Can only get better though, was nice to see it added.

But, Ancestry.com is a long way ahead with most searches before & after 1837 BDM'S. Also 1871 -1901 census searches. I paid quarterly for the service which i find very good, as i have paid hundreds into 1837online searches. With Ancestry.com you get images as well with name searches for every county.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 February 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you know - in case you haven't already noticed - 1837online have posted Essex, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Worcestershire as 'coming next' on their 1861 census coverage.
Jill.
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 February 05 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Good to have yet another resource coming online.  However, I have noticed - I think - that you seem to get double-charged.  What I mean is, I have looked at a census image, looked something else up, then gone back to look at the previous image (with VIEW highlighted in red) and seem to have got charged another 3 credits.  This is within the same session (i.e. kept logged on).

If I'm not going bonkers, the BDM section does NOT re-charge for looking at the same image twice.

Or am I just imagining things ...

Jonathan
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 February 05 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I seem to recall the BMD views always being charged per view, not once per session. But I'm not 100% certain of that. I have been somewhere that does cache what you've already paid for and not charge you again. I think it was the 1901 census but it's been a while - I could be mistaken.

jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census Now online !!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 March 05 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I tried 1837online for the 1861 census this weekend and I was not overly impressed.  My first attempt at finding a family was successful, but it went downhill from there.  It took a lot of lateral thinking and very strange possibilities at variant surnames to come up with the others I was looking for.  The quality of the images is also not as good as others I have seen. Can they be viewed in any other graphics software and perhaps enhanced? And unless I completely missed something, how do you get the full reference if the page is the reverse of a folio, so that number is not showing.  ???

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Anne-Marie

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 March 05 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've been playing with the census too - and would be grateful for any tips suggestions.  I am looking for (and without success) Caroline Beeho (or variants and boy am I good now at variants!!).  I know she died in the Princes Road Workhouse Lambeth in 1862 and as her parents were in Brighton in 1856 I am presuming that she was admitted there about/before they moved.  Hence she SHOULD be on the 1861 census in the workhouse.  I have tried an address search and although I can find Princes Road I can't find the workhouse!?  Any ideas?

Thanks

Anne-Marie

PS I've started to copy and paste all my searches into a word document to ensure I don't look at the same searches again.
Beeho Beho Beehoo Beho Beeko Becho Beecho and any other version!!Anywhere!
Also Dainton Somerset, Richardson Brighton/Portugal
Blackshield Essex/London

Offline tommytoronto

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 29 April 05 08:02 BST (UK) »
It's now on ancestry.co.uk - i haven't checked if same is true on ancestry.com - haven't seen an email announcing it......  It has become for my tree at least the most fascinating of the censuses - I now have 2 family name changes - one morphing again from 1881 to 1871 to 1861.  Able to flesh out a whole new generation back - and have even found a gr gr gr gr gr grandfather born in 1779!!!!  This is FABULOUS...

back to the searches

Tom
census information is crown copyright
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/default.htm

cumberland - ivison
derby - fearn
durham - moon, bowman, waters
kent - millgate, hatcher, cox, alaby, gibbs, goodbourne, hollams
lancashire - dears, bradborn, matthews, burke
london - mears
northumberland - curry, grey
yorkshire - bergan, ackney, irwin, sclaes, metcalf, crosby
caithness - stewart, waters, gunn, cormack, horne
refrewshire - houston, dow
hamburg germany - dears ( deircs)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 29 April 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
Guess how much housework is going to be done today??? Whee!!!  :D :D :D

MR
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk