Author Topic: CAPSTICK family and Low Park Farm Dillicar *COMPLETED*  (Read 20370 times)

Offline Karanest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Holocaust Memorial, Hyde Park, London, England
    • View Profile
Re: CAPSTICK family and Low Park Farm Dillicar
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 February 10 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Just testing. Sorry!!
Scottish Names BRODIE; BROWN; COLLIE; DONALD; DUFF; ELMESLEY; FORBES; GLASHON; GOW; GRANT; HARRIS; KELLY; LOW; MIDDLETON; MOLLISON; NEILLANDS; PETRIE; RUTHERFORD; SHAW; SMITH; SPENCE/SPENS; STRACHAN; TAYLOR; WILSON; YEAMAN

English Names BAKER; BATTERHAM; BECK; BERRY; BRACKENBURY; BRENNAND; CHALKLEY; CANNON; CORNFORTH; CROWTHER; DANIELS; DARCY; EBB; ELLIS; GUERIN; HARRISON; HINCHLIFFE; JACKSON; JENNINGS; MANSERGH; MITCHELL; NUTTALL; PAINE/PAYNE; RUDD; SMEATON; STALKER; STOYLIS; THOMPSON; WARD

Offline Capstick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi SkyblueFF,
                        My Great Grandfather was the young Roger Capstick that you refer to in your introduction. Roger Capstick and family, having moved from High Park to Low Park between 1861 and 1871 then moved again to Cockshead Farm in Liverpool between 1891 and 1901. Your Great Grandfather Edward was Roger’s brother and moved to 98 Admiral Street, Toxteth (not sure when). I too would like to know why they moved to Liverpool. I think it was for economic reasons mostly but the flight of Roger and family from Low Park may have a mystery attached to it. Some of Roger’s children (another Roger, Margaret and William) went to live at Allerton Road Farm Liverpool owned by Roger and Edwards other brother William. The remaining younger children (Mary, Jane, Thomas, James my grandfather and Walter) went to Cockshead Farm. Hannah the eldest daughter went to work for your great grandfather Edward at his home in Toxteth as a domestic servant. Question is, why move to a farm that is too small for your family? My Uncle Ted (born at Cockshead Farm), now sadly deceased did mention something untoward had happened which prompted their departure from Westmoreland but that was all he knew. I’m trying to find out what it was.
  I visited Low Park, about ten years ago. I had to wait until mid July when the Lune River dropped sufficiently to ford on foot. I have some photo’s which I can send to you if you want any.

I’ll try to answer some of your questions:-
1. High Park was in the path of the motorway, it was just below Knott Hall farm across the railway line from Low Park. In fact the access road to Low Park went past High Park then over the level crossing. The little lane just south of  Mountain View opposite the mile stone is still there on the recent OS map, I’ll go and look for it next time I’m in the area. High Park can be seen on an old OS map, First Series, Sheet 98E, circa 1864. This link may get you there:-  http://visionofbritain.org.uk/iipmooviewer/iipmooviewer.html?fileName=first_edition%2Flm_98ne%3DThe+British+Library%3DOrdnance+Survey%3DFirst+Series%3D98+NE&x=54&y=43

2. I think Low Park is derelict due to the access road being cut off by the motorway. There is no access the other way across the Lune except on foot and the nearest other access is travelling north down a farm track for some distance all the way to Low Borrowbridge.
3. Still searching for an answer.
4.Yes me too.
5. We probably do if we go back far enough.

It seems we have a common ancestry and several common goals in our research, we probably need to pool our resources if you think it would be beneficial. I live in Timperley, south Manchester and my frequent visits to the Lake District usually involve walking or painting. I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet and spend some time in Kendal Library going through old newspaper articles or such like.
Regards
Brian.

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 February 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Brian

Thank you for that reply, it seems we have lots to talk about so I have sent you a private message.
regards
Michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool

Offline pukeroro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 August 10 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, I have just joined this site. My great great great grandfather was also James, who was married to Margaret Foster. Their son James b 1838 had a son Frederick Foster b 1865. Frederick is my great grandfather and he came to NZ in the 1880s, his elder brother James went to Australia at a similar time.
I am trying to trace the brothers/sisters of James b 1794/7. I have been told that a  sister Mary b 1808 married Thomas Stephenson in 1829 is this correct? Cee are you able to tell me who Ann 1803 married?
I am happy to share any information that I have on James descendents. Linda

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 August 10 05:03 BST (UK) »
hi i am a Wharton from the similar area . i am sure one of my relations married a dacre and i also think they farm near the Lune , the motorway and the calisle overbridge .. your names are very familiar to me tho not directly related . my family were more waitby and Kirby Stephan . i have been to Kendal archives . fan tanstic but as i am in new zealand even harder than wales .
 i have some books here i will look into and also will look up if it is dacre..
 hope to hear from you . Jan
family names , Atkinson , Dixon , eubank , Cunningham .. they lived at ashfell farm ..
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there
just thought I'd join in on this one - hope you don't mind
I'm not sure I have any direct answers to your questions, but perhaps some further history

My great grandmother was Elizabeth Capstick (daughter of Roger and Hannah)

I have traced her back beyond the Dacre's that once owned Lanercost Priory 0 where there still remains family crests in the main building and a more recently refurbished "Dacre Hall". The last remaining heir of the Dacres is buried there - it's a very sad story, but certainly got me interested in history!

Elizabeth married William Bateman, and they had two of their three children whilst living at the Knott Hall you refer to in your earlier chain.

Knott Hall was undergoing some major renovations last year, but the owners kindly allowed me to go and look at the house (spectacular views!) when I visited the area two years ago. I took some photos which may show the area that High Park once stood - let me know if you'd like me to share them

I'm planning a further visit to the area next week - if time prevails I'll see if I can visit the house again and take more photos of the spectacular views

Hope this helps
regards
CAjondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland
Shackley - Cumberland
Diamond - Cumberland
Harrington - Cumberland
Russell - Cumberland

Offline skyblueFF

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hello CAjondy
                 Thanks for joining in the post with great information. Through this post I have made contact with another descendant of Roger and Hannah who is the same relation to me as you are. My great grand father was Edward, Elizabeth's brother. Elizabeth lived at Low Park when she married William Bateman from Knott Hall the neighboring farm. We are trying to build up a picture of Low Park and the family there before they went their separate ways in Liverpool. I have seen Low Park from the road at the other side of the river Lune but would love to be able to visit it but would need permission from the present owner, can you help with information on that front.
                 I knew that the Dacres go back along way but am fascinated by the Lanercost Priory connection.
                 PM me with more information if you like.

Michael
HEISE ,Germany, London and Birkenhead.
HARTWELL. London. Arundel.
CAPSTICK, Westmorland and Liverpool
BUTLER Liverpool
CHARTERS,  Walton Liverpool
GORE,Sefton, Liverpool .
CRUICE Roscommon and Liverpool.
ROBINSON, Westmorland.
ATKINSON,Westmorland.
DACRE, Westmorland.
FORSHAW,Sefton,Liverpool

Offline Capstick

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 August 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi CAjondy,
                    I’m Brian, the other descendent referred to by skyblueFF. My Great Grandfather was Roger Capstick (or Roger the younger as I refer to him) second son of Roger (the elder) and Hannah.
  When Roger (the elder) and Hannah died Roger (the younger) became head of the family at Low Park, Edward having moved to Liverpool. He married Elizabeth XXXXXX and lived at Low Park along with his children, one of whom, James my Grandfather. It seems we share the same Great, Great Grandparents. I have been to Low Park (yes I trespassed, I think) several years ago, had to ford the River Lune to get there, not advisable really. If either you or skyblueFF would like to visit Low Park the properties at Borrowbridge would be a place to start as one of them has a track at the rear leading to Low Park. The land around it is used, as it was in our ancestor’s day for grazing cattle, so access shouldn’t be problem so long as the current owner is amenable. I have some photos from my trip which I could share with you if you want them.
Regards
Brian

Offline Cajondy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 August 10 01:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Briasn
I'd love the photos - thank you
Sadly, I ran out of time on my trip to the Lakres this year, so my waddling through water (or through fields of grazing sheep / cows) may need to wait until next year 0 maybw by then some kind of road will have been built :-)

If you provate message me your email address I can send you mine

I do believe Roger married Elizabeth Park on 3/10/1877 at the parish church in Grayrigg - her father was Robert Park a farmer in Dillicar (found this in the records office during my two days in there this week!) Witnesses were JAmes PArk and Hannah Capstick. The presiding minister was William Lovejoy :-)

regards
Cajondy
Jones - Llangernieuw,llanynys, llanrhaiadr, bangor
Foulkes - Nantglyn, Llanrhaiadr
Williams - Anglesey, Bangor
Hussey Burgh - unknown
Eames - Poss Ireland, Pwllheli, Bangor
Bateman - Westmorland
Dobson - Westmorland
Capstick - Westmorland
Dacre - Cumberland
Gainford - Cumberland