Author Topic: Help deciphering occupation  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
Help deciphering occupation
« on: Tuesday 03 March 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
This is the occupation of my husband's gt grandfather.  He apparently ran a fishing company from Hull Docks.  It looks like something buyer fisherman.  ???  Can anyone help.  Thanks.

Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering occupation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

fishbuyers Fishm

The Fishm, looks like it has been added later - using a lighter hand but due to the similarity in the "sh" in both words, possibly by the same writer who used a different form of F. And/Or possibly the fishbuyers was written in lowercase, and Fishm in upper.  I would hazard a guess that:

The gt-grandfather wrote: "fishbuyers" on the schedule returned to the enumerator - ie: "we're fishbuyers by trade". And the enumerator has copied this into his book and then categorised it (ultimately for statistical purposes) by adding "Fishm" for "Fishmonger".

Are there other examples of the enumerator's "f" of "F" on the page or near pages?

Cheers
AMBLY

PS: It is often seen in the census pages:  an occupation  entered by the enumerator and clearly later, someone else (the person checking & collating the enumerator's return) has added a "category" word.  Can't think of the countless examples I've seen  ::)  except for example, someone enumerated as occupation: "Hewer Above Ground". Catergorised with the notation: "CoalM" for Coal Mine(r)(s).
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering occupation
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ambly

I had initially thought it said Fishbuyers but as there was no dot over the i and the funny looking F which was not the same as in Fishm, I was not sure.

Thank you for the information.

Goofy
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside