Author Topic: Help Deciphering This Please (completed with thanks)  (Read 3520 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help Deciphering This Please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

Everyone contributed.

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Belatedly it occurs to me ...

If Mr TEMPLE already has his B.A. then he would hardly be an undergraduate at Lincoln College.

So I now think those words apply to Mr SIDEBOTTHAM.  He is 20 whereas most of the students are aged between 9-15 (there's one who seems to be 18).

Also College is inserted above the entry for Mr HEWITT so it makes sense that 'undergraduate Lincoln College' actually refers to Mr SIDEBOTTHAM.

Why would an undergraduate be studying at St N College?  Perhaps he was 'cramming'.  Or taking the sea air for his health while still pursuing his undergrad studies with the assistance of the two St N teachers ...

So it would become:
                                                                                                   College
John William HEWITT, Teacher, u, 27 Priest without care of Souls. Tutor St N

George William TEMPLE, Teacher, u, 26 BA Probty {i.e. Probationary} Fellow & Tutor St N C

undergraduate Lincoln College
John Saml SIDEBOTTHAM, -, u, 20 Student   St N College

JAP

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just to add - I've been looking at the full image for clues to  the name of St N College:

New Shoreham, Susex
HO107/1647 F 279 P 71/72

I think the St N college/school might have been St Nicholas's*:

At Old Shoreham a Sunday school supported by the vicar was started in 1828, but in 1833 the children went to day schools at New Shoreham, (fn. 56) as apparently in 1847. (fn. 57) A Church school for Old Shoreham was built on the glebe before 1871, when it had an attendance of 23. (fn. 58) The buildings were enlarged in or after 1879, and attendance had risen to 95 by 1906. The school moved into new buildings in 1914, (fn. 59) and in 1938, after a period of overcrowding, had an attendance of 78 in junior mixed and infant departments. (fn. 60) The school, called St. Nicolas's, closed in 1971, being replaced by St. Nicolas and St. Mary C. of E. school in Eastern Avenue, which in 1976 had nearly 300 boys and girls aged from five to twelve. (fn. 61)

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18245

Also, the enumerator's capital A's are in the round form for other names on the sheet - e.g. Annie, Arthur, so it will be B.A. as we thought.

Gadget

* Added - the parish church in Shoreham is called St Nicholas
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 10:30 GMT (UK) »
That's a good find.

That enumerator not only certainly seemed to write with the proverbial "thumbnail dipped in tar" (see Banjo Paterson's 'Clancy of the Overflow') but was very careless not giving a name for the College.  And his 'Interden' for George's birthplace instead of Tenterden is a bit poor.

Mr 'SIDEBOTTHAM' obviously succeeded in his studies and moved in superior circles.
In 1861 30yo John Sam SIDEBOTHAM, 'M.A. Chaplain of New College Ox.'  was a Visitor at The Hall, Ashby, Canons Ashby, Northhamptonshire in the household of Sir H E L Dryden Bart, Landed Proprietor.  There were 3 servants, and other Visitors were a Lieutenant in the R.H. Artillery, a Retired Colonel, and the 'son of Professor HULLAH'.  Ref is RG9/943/4/1.

JAP
PS: http://www.the-rathouse.com/ClancyoftheOverflow.html
PPS: Lots of hits for HULLAH - it seems that he was inter alia Professor of Vocal Music in King's College, London and author of several books
Later edit: Google has many hits for John Samuel SIDEBOTHAM.  Including that he was indeed at Lincoln College and gained his BA in 1853.  But also including books by Rev. J.S. SIDEBOTHAM on such riveting subjects as 'The Legal Exemption of the Clergy from Turnpike Tolls'!

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 09 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you to Sue, JAP, Gadget and Ian for all your help.

One of my questions was going to be 'what was the name of the school?', but that has been covered by you clever lot.  St Nicolas, my next task is to see if there are any records relating to past pupils there.

It does make me wonder why an ancestor and his brother were sent all the way down to Sussex to school when they lived in Birmingham.   Thanks JAP for the extra contribution regarding Mr Sidebotham.

Just as a matter of interest Ian how could I turn the census image into a negative one please?

Ewan