Author Topic: Susan G. Robertson of Peterhead  (Read 21407 times)

Offline dave225

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan G. Robertson of Peterhead
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 December 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Charles Gouch was my great great grandfather. I've got loads of info on my bit of the tree.
I'm new to RootsChat - can you contact people outside the public forum?

Dave

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 December 10 12:13 GMT (UK) »
hi Dave

welcome to rootschat  :)

once you have made 3 posts you can use the personal message system
just click on the green scroll to the left hand side of post of the person you wish to contact
you can use this to exchange email addresses etc.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline dolly1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 28 November 13 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
Charles Gouch was my great great grandfather have very little information about him. Would be grateful for any info
Dolly

Offline Linda from Murton

• RootsChat Member
  • A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 29 November 13 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dolly,

Charles Gouch was our great great grandfather too.  I have quite a bit of information about him and his family.  What branch do you spring from? If I can share information I would be more than happy too.  We live in Co. Durham.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Co. Durham: Dodds, Green, Campbell, Pickering  Hall, Raymond, Armstrong, Bell
Cumberland: Brown, Musgrave, Bell, Key
Devon: Raymond

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 29 November 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dolly, Welcome to rootschat. Once you have made 3 posts you will be able to contact members by private message (pm). This will enable you to exchange contact details :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline dolly1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 29 November 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda
My side comes from Sarah Ann Gouch,she was my great grandmother.Sarah married Thomas Ratcliffe then had my grandmother Hannah Potts Ratcliffe.Hannah married Charles Burrell, their first born was my Dad Thomas Burrell.He was born 30th November 1910.Dad said both Sarah and Thomas were Deaf and Dumb.Sarah and Thomas are both buried in Harton Cemetary in South Shields but in separate graves.Charles and Susan are buried in old Westoe cemetery in South Shields.Their grave is side by side with John Josephs grave.There are no Headstones but Iwas
 told the graves had been bought and probably the headstones have long gone.
I was born in South Shields but now live in Pelaw,Gateshead.The family tree I have put together is on Ancestry.co.uk but any info I can share I would be happy too.All I know about Charles is that he was born in Norfolk but cant find his parents or any siblings or why he ended up here. Cant find a marriage for him and Susan. Any more information would be grateful.
Thanks
Dolly

Offline Linda from Murton

• RootsChat Member
  • A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 November 13 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dolly,

We came down the George Robertson Gouch (1859-1918) line.  I still haven't been able to find a marriage for Charles and Susan.  Must admit I haven't picked the Gouch tree up for ages.  I do have that Charles was the son of an Elizabeth Gooch (think she was a single mum) and that he was born in 1818 at Attleborough, Norfolk.

His wife Susan Gordon Robertson (1825-1919) was the daughter of Joseph Robertson and Mary Ogston.  I shall have to find my Gouch box of notes etc. and see what else I have.

We have always understood that Charles and Susan must have worked in the Herring Fishing trade and that's how they met.  Suppose South Shields was half way between Norfolk and Peterhead.

I don't put my family trees on Ancestry.  Good luck in your research. Kind regards - Linda
Co. Durham: Dodds, Green, Campbell, Pickering  Hall, Raymond, Armstrong, Bell
Cumberland: Brown, Musgrave, Bell, Key
Devon: Raymond

Offline Lydia2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 August 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
On the below  I think Samuel Laughton (Peterhead)  was probably  the older brother of my ancestor Isabella Laughton who was born about 2 years later in Peterhead and ended up aged 18 living as a live in servant in the NE - North or South Shields/ Tyneside and marrying there twice. That would also tally with her brother moving down in 1841 too.

I have not been able to connect Samuel and Isabella Laughton however other than that they were born 2 years apart in Peterhead and both ended up in the NE of England however.

"Hi Linda,

I think my 4X great grandmother Mary Laughton nee Robertson is possibly the sister of Susan's father, Joseph.

So far I've been unable to find concrete evidence to link Joseph and my Mary but I think you'll agree that the following evidence of their closeness indicates that they were almost certainly related in some way.

My Mary Robertson married Samuel Laughton, a sailor in Peterhead in 1824 and over the following years both Samuel Laughton and Joseph Robertson witnessed the baptisms of each others children in Peterhead.
In 1841, both families were living in Milbourne place in North Shields.
Susan's brother Frederick was a witness at my 3X great grandmother's wedding and another brother James registered the death of Samuel Laughton in 1848.
Looking at the 1851 Census,  Susan's mother Mary appears to have taken in the youngest Laughton child, Elizabeth when she was orphaned in 1849 following the death of her mother in the Cholera epidemic.

That's all for now but I'll get back to you with a bit more information today or tomorrow.

Kind regards
Carolyn