Author Topic: 1851,1861, or 1871 Kent,  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1851,1861, or 1871 Kent,
« on: Friday 23 April 04 21:42 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my g grandmother Fanny Jane Brient.

In the 1881 census she is married and living at 63 Broad Street, Canterbury, as Fanny Jane Hitchcock, in which she says she was born in Canterbury circa 1848. She also says in the 1891 that she was born in Canterbury, but has knocked a couple of years off.

Cannot find any trace of her birth anywhere. But on Free BMD there seem to be a few living in the Faversham area. It is not until several years later that the name Brient appears in Canterbury.

On her marriage certificate 1876, she has given her fathers name as James Brient, deceased.

So for the 1851, I am looking for James Brient family with a daughter Fanny Jane aged about 3 yrs.

Very very grateful for an answer.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re:1851,1861, or 1871 Kent,
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 04 01:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

At present we do not have any volunteers offering lookups on the resources you requested.  We will keep your details on file and let you know as soon as the information becomes available,

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:1851,1861, or 1871 Kent,
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 04 06:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kazza,

I will be patient.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: 1851,1861, or 1871 Kent,
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 04 12:01 BST (UK) »
Tom,

As this is an old post, can you confirm where you want me to look in the 1861 census? Bear in mind there's no index so if you just say Canterbury, I can't help.
Perhaps you have the birth cert by now?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 04 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Sorry, I am still unable to find anything recorded about her birth thus far. I occasionally give the Kent registration and Free BMD sites a check but cannot find any trace of a Fanny Brient being born anywhere in Kent.
All I know for certain is what I have put before, plus the fact that she married my g grandfather in St Mary's Church, Northgate, Canterbury. Sorry to be so vague, but the only chance I seem to have of finding out who her family were, is by getting lucky in a census prior to the 1881, which she is on and married in the mid 1870's.

Thanks for thinking of me at least.
Regards
Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 04 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Did you try 1837online which should have all registered births? It's a pay service.

Kate

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 September 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

I have actually paid someone to search the Kent birth reisters for me to no avail.

Regards
Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 September 04 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

Sorry. No good news. I searched Canterbury Northgate St Mary including the barracks for Brient but came up with nothing. They are either spelled considerably differently or are somewhere else. Have you searched for her father's marriage cert?

Kate

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 September 04 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,
Thankyou for trying, can you tell me what census you were looking at please, so that I know in the future.
No I have not looked for her fathers marriage as yet, I was and am trying to take one step at a time.
My family on my fathers side have been just plain difficult. His father was born Edward James HITCHCOCK but was married under the name WHITMAN. There was no one born in the UK as Edward James WHITMAN and it took an awful lot of work to find out who he really was.
The family moved from Canterbury some time in the 1890's to Deal and suddenly the name became WHITMAN. Edward's two sisters were married using the surname WHITMAN in Deal.
Edwards father Edward Whitman HITCHCOCK has no fathers name on his birth certificate. Plus he died in Deal in 1897 under the name HITCHCOCK. Can I find any reference to Fanny dying anywhere? No. That is under Whitman and Hitchcock.
I cannot find any reference to Edward Whitman HITCHCOCK'S mother Elizabeth anywhere either. She seems to have given birth to him in 1847 in Archbishops Palace and disappeared.
I have the feeling that Fanny is going to be the same.
Thanks again
Regards
Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock