Author Topic: Dolau Baptist Church  (Read 10504 times)

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dolau Baptist Church
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 13:04 GMT (UK) »
I am researching John and Joan Eaton who lived in Llandewi and attended the Dolau Baptist Church or Chapel.   I found records indicating they moved to the US in 1636 or 1686.

I live in the UK now and am planning a trip and would like to visit the church and if possible find where they are buried.

Would appreciate any records there might be for John and Joan Eaton or information about this church.
Thanks
Marilyn

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Dolau Baptist Church
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I'm afraid there are two Dolau Baptist Chapels. One actually in Dolau and another on the side of the A44, near Nantmel.

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

Thanks for writing!  Wow -  that makes it a challenge.   Do you know which might be oldest and go back to the 1600's.  I have found a book on this history of the Baptists in Radnorshire that includes a bit of information about the family. 

Thanks
Marilyn

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 17:30 GMT (UK) »
I think the  present chapels are both 18th-19th century.
This is the one actually in Dolau.
http://www.churches-uk-ireland.org/images/powys/dolau_bap.jpg

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the picture!   
Marilyn

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 March 09 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marilyn
The Baptist Chapel of Dolau near Nantmel is under the auspices of the Baptist Union of Wales

Their website gives an email address and if you use the church locator page you can see Dolau listed

www.buw.org.uk/index.php?lang=en

It would be worth contacting Powys Archives who could tell you what records they hold for both Dolau chapels.

Website www.powys.gov.uk/index.php?id=647

Also contact The National Library of Wales and ask their holdings

www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=2

I would have thought your ancestors moved to USA in 1686 as the first Baptist meetings took place mid 1640's in Wales.

Finally remember many of the Marriage and possibly Baptism and burial functions continued in the Church of England churches for the early part of Baptist times and you may need to consult other records from the area.
I assume by Llanddewi you mean Llanddewi Ystradenny

The record office is in Llandrindod Wells - local to the places you are interested in. You would probably find a weekend in the area to be worthwhile. The scenery is lovely.

Good Luck
Sue

Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 March 09 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue -

Thank you so much for writing and sending the sites.  I will check them out.

Regarding the Baptists, I heard about a book on the Baptists from Radnorshire from a relative who had someone do some work for him.  I was able to find it on the google book search - The History of the Baptists in Radnorshire: with a sketch of the history of NonConformity in the county by John Jones published in 1835.  It says the Baptist church in Dolau was formed in 1646.  It mentions my relatives, "John Eaton and brother Geoge, moved to Pennypack Pennsylvania in 1686,  2 years before the persecution ended."     If anyone else is interested in tells about who and how that particular church was formed.   I also saw several other historys on the Baptists in Wales that could be searched and downloaded for free at google.

Thanks again for sending the sites.
Marilyn

Offline Sue15

• RootsChat Senior
  • No one is too old to need a Teddy Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 March 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marilyn

Thanks for the information on Baptists in Wales - this will be very useful as many of my ancestors were baptists and also flirted with other non conformist religions.

It must be wonderful to read of your ancestors in the book you mentioned - also Eaton is not a common name - not like Davies which my family name is.  This should assist your researches.

Hopefully you will find out more - but there is a lot to be said for just visiting the area your forebears came from. Whilst the chapels may not be original -this area of mid wales is very unspoilt and you can find lots of B&B accomodation through the Mid Wales tourist board quite reasonably priced.

Enjoy
Sue
Davies- Llandegly, Cefnllys
Lloyd, Old and New Radnor Glascwm
Holl, Radnor, Kington
Mannering(s), Chatham Hinckley
England & Iliffe in Hinckley
Whitlock, Wilts, Glos and Cardiff
Howell, Cardiff
Hoddinott, Sturminster Newton,  - Weston S Mare
Thymian Eiling, Rahmer, Heitmuller -Hanover and Braunchsweig Germany
Wellings- Shropshire
Weaver . Cinderford and Walford Herefordshire also Ross, Australia & Pontypridd
Thomas - Williamstown, Tonypandy
Trembath - Cornwall & Williamstown Wales

Offline jakesjag

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue -

I am getting ready to leave tomorrow, April 8, for Wales.  I have been going over this book the History of the the Welsh Baptists by J. Davis 1835.  There are number of Davies in it including Nathan, Peter and Griffith.  The daughter of Peter, Mary, married George Eaton (my relative) in 1710 according to information in the book.

I am meeting with a Mrs Pugh at the Dolau Baptist Church to see it, a member of the Radnorshire Genealogy Society so I can join that group and see the records, The Powrys Archives then on up to Montgomeryshire as my relatives also lived there.  I will join that genealogy society too and visit their genealogy library which is in Newtown.

Take care
Marilyn