Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32256 times)

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 October 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Martin K
All combatants in the Waterloo campaign received prize money - for Privates this was £2-11-4, a tidy sum in those days. In the case of men killed the money was passed to next of kin. Correspondence regarding these payments can be found at Kew in the WO164 series. 
All the best
Martin A

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 10 October 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
Phil
Sorry I have no personal details on your man. Intersting you should say he "stood around at Waterloo"! The 11th were indeed only lightly engaged and lost only 6 men from a nominal strength of 443.
William was one of 4 Corporals in Schrieber's Troop which lost 3 men killed  - 2 Privates and Lieutenant Edward Phelips.
William would doubtless have served in the Peninsula - the 11th seeing action at Salamanca and the retreat from Burgos.
In 1819 the Regiment was posted to India where it stayed until 1838. In 1826 the 11th took part in the siege of Bhurtpore.
Hope this is of interest, sorry I don't have more detail.
Regards
Martin

Offline thoyts

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 22 October 09 23:25 BST (UK) »
In reply to Arkay, I am a descendant of Capt Thoyts and have done a bit of digging into the events of 18/6/15. The RHG were supposed to have been in reserve when the Household Brigade went into action, but seem to have got somewhat carried away. Attacking around La Haye Sainte, Capt Thoyts' troop as far as I can tell engaged the 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps of the L'Armee du Nord to the West of the farm. Initially successful, indeed there is a second hand family record of a captured Eagle (either the 54th or 28th Line), they were counter charged by French cuirassiers (probably 2nd brigade, 13th cavalry division) and a number were captured, including Capt Thoyts. If an Eagle was taken, it was recaptured pretty smartish and the RHG survivors were herded to the rear. Capt Thoyts escaped in the general confusion after the battle (I have seen the location given as either Genappe or Charleroi, the former is plausible, the latter is not unless the escape was not until the following day at least). His promotion to Major was dated 18th June, however the casualty returns for the day list him as missing which does not quite square. It is probable as an officer he was held separately from the men and the fate of the troopers captured alongside him is not known. Incidentally 20 killed and missing from 77 can be considered light in comparison to the 50%+ loss of many of the British heavy cavalry units. The family accounts are all second hand and do not mention other officers or men of the Regiment unfortunately.

Offline arkay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 23 October 09 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Thoyts, and welcome to Rootschat!  Thank you for the additional info about Captain Thoyts and his troop, which I will now print out and add to my files.

Regards,
Arkay
Travis, Earnshaw, Wild, Hibbert, Warren, Leech - Ashton-under-Lyne
Mills, Fallows - Middleton
Pryce, Evans - Welshpool, Mgy, Wales
Davies - Criggion, Shropshire
Whittaker, Evans, Benussi - Liverpool
Price, Whittaker - Great Crosby
Atherton - Frodsham, Cheshire
Riley - Huddersfield area, Yorkshire

Offline Gussage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Martin,

Can you tell me anything about my great great great grandfather ANTHONY HISCOCK?
According to his death certificate he was born about 1793 and he lived in Gussage Dorset.
The Waterloo Medal Roll says that he was a Private in the 2nd Battalion 35th Regiment of Foot, Captain Moulson’s Company.
Any information would be useful, but in particular I would like to know his date of birth, when and where he joined the army, and when he returned to civil life. According to the census he married an Irish woman. Is it true that some of his regiment went to Ireland soon after Waterloo?

Jeff.

Offline Gussage

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 17 August 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello again. Sorry I meant 1793. Jeff. I've now corrected the original.

Offline kevinOC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 August 10 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

An interesting hobby you have. My g/g/g/ father fought at Waterloo, and I have inherited his Waterloo Medal, which is our oldest heirloom. Unfortunately it does not have its original ribbon, or iron ring, but is in otherwise great condition. He was with 73rd Regiment of Foot, 2nd Batt., As you will probably know, the 73rd Reg. were raised as a second Regiment of The Black Watch, and they played an important role in blunting the charges of the French Cavalry. They sustained fearsome injuries.

My ancestor , Michael Connor , an Irishman, lost his right eye and had his left ankle smashed, both as a result of French grapeshot . Michael was illiterate, as is testified by his X on both enlistment, and discharge papers, which I got poor quality photo-copies of, from LDS microfilm records. Michael was discharged as unfit for further service, as a result of his injuries, and he received a pension of 9d per day. Our family name was misspelled , at time of enlistment, probably because he was illiterate.

I have the book "The 2/73rd at Waterloo" by Alan Lagdan & John Sly, also a reprint of ''The Recollections of Sergeant Morris'', which I think is a marvellous record, by an ordinary soldier, in an era, when only the views of officers, were normally recorded. I think the 73rd played a vital role at the preliminary battle at Quatre Bras, which shaped the course of Waterloo proper. I think the Iron Duke, thought so too.

I'd be pleased to receive any extra info which you may have. Its hard doing research from here in New Zealand, where I am
O'Connor,  Thompson, Flaherty, Mahoney , IRELAND
Lambert, Brickell, Walsh, Tilbrook, Earl, Swindell, MacCree, ENGLAND
Yoachum, Wynn, Mower, USA
Maurer, Germany

Offline helenmk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 September 10 05:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Martin,

I think I tried to post an entry before to your site but must have stuffed it up!

I'm trying to search for an ancestor who may have been at Waterloo. His details are as follows:

Surname, Forename  HOGG, Mathew
Date of enlistment     1800 10 Aug
Rank                           Corporal
Regiment                    6th Dragoons

He married May 1802 to Elizabeth PAINE/PAYNE in Dartmouth, Devon. (Regiment stationed at Exeter at the time).

He has a child born circa 1811, so he was still alive in 1810.

His wife was buried in Dartmouth, Devon 1828. There is no mention of her being buried with her husband - HOGG is an unusual name for the area.

So it may have been possible that he took part in the Battle of Waterloo. He is not listed in the Waterloo Medal Roll which I assume was only awarded to the survivors.

I would be grateful for any help you can give me about this man.

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Eric White

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin
My Great Great Great Grandfather Was Richard Folke born 1770 in Tenbury Worcestershire he died in Dec 1847 and is buried in Stoke Bliss  (ref Tenbury 18 398)
I have been informed that he was in the Army for 16 years and 114 days
He was in the 3rd Regiment of Foot (Buffs)
It is not known if he was at Waterloo but it is believed he was in the Napoleonic Wars
Any information would be appreciated
Kind regards
Eric White