Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32255 times)

Offline alisonjs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 04:08 GMT (UK) »
Please could anyone tell me if there is any way of knowing about children born to soldiers of this period?
My ggg-grandmother was Annetta Kenyon, she was born around 1803 in Ghent. Her brother Levi was born in 1806 in Ghent. They were both British Subjects.
Family history (which is often wrong) says that their father was a "flogger in Wellington's army".
Annetta and Levi were in Manchester, later. Annetta married Ralph Gaunt in Manchester Cathedral. Levi was her witness and they were both illiterate. Annetta's name was given as Jane Kenyon but it's definately her.
I'd be very grateful for any clues.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Belgium was part of France in this period. As war recommenced in 1803 it is difficult to see why any British subjects were living there. There certain were no British forces in Ghent until 1814-15. You could try searching the overseas/consular/regimental BMDs on sites such as Findmypast, in case their father was a civilian living there.

Doesn't the marriage entry give their father's name? If you can find a name you could look for an army record, again on FindMyPast. However, it would only have been kept if he served long enough to earn a pension. If there is no record you are really at a dead end as all other army records require you to know his regiment.

Ghent was famous for its cloth I believe. Which may be a link with Manchester. As both forenames are not particularly 'english' could they be Mr Kenyon's step children, who adopted his surname? I suggest you research Belguim records, and see if you can do forename searches. Or search the church records in Ghent somehow.

Ken

Offline alisonjs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help.
Unfortunately there are no fathers listed on the mariage record. I have a photocopy of the entry and the only name apart from Ralph and "Jane" is that of Levi. Ralph came from Cheshire and I would doubt that his family could afford to travel to Manchester for the wedding. Annetta and Levi were obviously very close as Levi moved to Cheshire and lived near Annetta. Levi was staying with her during one census. I wondered if their parents were dead when Annetta married. I'll try to get a record of Levi's (later) marriage record in case they were alive.
The step-child idea is new to me and sounds a definate possibility. Thank you.
Were there definately no British regiments in Ghent in 1803 and 1806?
Thank you again for your help. It is VERY kind of you to take the trouble.

Offline bamc37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 25 March 11 01:14 GMT (UK) »
If you have any ancestors who fought at Waterloo (or you wonder if they might have done!) I'd be very interested to hear from you.

I keep a database of all BRITISH combatants and am always looking for more data to add.

Many thanks

Martin Aaron
My g.g.great grandfather, Abraham Ward, was born in Rougham, Suffolk in 1795. He enlisted in  the 13th Light Dragoons at Bury St Edmunds in 1813.
He married in 1812 and my g.great grandfather, Abraham James Ward was born in 1818 at Bury St Edmunds.
Abraham Ward (No.147) varied between a Private and a Trumpeter and served with 13th Light Dragoons from 1813 until 1838.He was at Waterloo and later went to India where he served for 19 years.
For the last two years of his service he suffered from Chronic Dysentry and was in hospital for most of that time.
He was finally discharged at Bangalor, as “old, broken down and unfit for duties of a dragoon”.
Can you advise me on the following?
I have no evidence that he was ever repatriated to UK.
Nor evidence of a pension.
His son, A.J.Ward was married in 1838 at Bury St Edmunds and put his fathers occupation as “Soldier”. So it would seem that Abrahams family did not follow him to India. Were these long separations normal.
I would be grateful for any advice you can give me.
CALDER Lancashire, Kensington and Scotland. COX Hammersmith, Tottenham and Bow. TOMS Plymouth, Modbury, Ermington. BRADY Fremington, Ireland. TYLER Luton, Uxbridge, MARRIOTT Bow, JONES Liverpool. JASPER Brighton, MOYSEY South Hams, KINGWELL Ugborough, HARRIS Gloucester; WARD Suffolk;

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 March 11 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Concerning Abraham Ward -

Another mystery!  I note that Familysearch has an entry for George Abraham Ward b. Bangalore 14/10/1839 to Abraham and Fanny.

Exactly how 'old, broken down and unfit' was your Abraham?!

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline bamc37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 25 March 11 10:20 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
LOL
Thanks Phil, the plot thickens.
I live in New Zealand now so research, other than online isnt easy, but this is definately worth further investigation.
Brian
CALDER Lancashire, Kensington and Scotland. COX Hammersmith, Tottenham and Bow. TOMS Plymouth, Modbury, Ermington. BRADY Fremington, Ireland. TYLER Luton, Uxbridge, MARRIOTT Bow, JONES Liverpool. JASPER Brighton, MOYSEY South Hams, KINGWELL Ugborough, HARRIS Gloucester; WARD Suffolk;

Offline bamc37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 28 March 11 02:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil
Following your lead I have now found, on Family Serch,  the marriage of Abraham Ward to Fanny Long at Chinglepeel, Madras 18th Oct 1833 and a later death of Abraham Ward aged 71, in 1863 at Bangalore. As well as the death of a Fanny Ward in 1878 at Bellary, Madras aged 84.
They all seem feasible. I wonder........................ ::)

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 28 March 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

If this Abraham was 71 when he died then he should have been born about 1792. Familysearch also has a record of the birth of an Abraham Ward in he Sudbury district of Suffolk in 1792 so if it's not the same one it might be a near relation. Rougham isn't so far from Sudbury I believe.
According to your original post your ancestor was retired at the age of 43. That's about the same age as my ancestor when he was discharged from the army in India in 1851 due to being 'worn out' and having poor sight. He went on to become a garrison scripture reader which might explain why they had such big Bibles in those days! He certainly had children afterwards. He also clearly added a year to his age when he enlisted.

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 28 March 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian

As you have his discharge papers it shows he was awarded a pension. They only kept the records of men awarded a pension in this period.

Most men discharged in India choose to be discharged there - it was cheap. They also had the right for a free passage to another British colony if they wished. And most agreed with the regiment that they could be transported back to the UK if they changed their minds about staying in India. As a 'Waterloo Man' he would have had two years service added toward his pension. Plus as a man enlisting before 1818 he should have half of any service in the East or West Indies added as well. So he could have ended up with a sizeable income, om top of whatever he managed to earn.

'..unfit for duties as a Dragoon' meant just that. It did not mean he was terminally ill.

Sons of soldiers had to look after themselves from the age of 14. It was 16 for a girl. So AJ would have flown the nest c1832.

Ken