Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32343 times)

Offline sussexbelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 28 May 11 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi , I have just found that my 4th Great Grandfather John Hainsworth ( Ainsworth ) joined the Royal Horse Guards Blues in 1806. He was also at Waterloo.

It has answered some of my questions such as why he married a girl from Windsor but as usual in genealogy has created a thousand more.

Now I have found that he was awarded the Waterloo medal but I found John Hainsworths on Findmypast. One was for captain Claytons troop , the other Captain Thayts Troop. Is he one and the same or are there two John Hainsworths?

I am also still searching for his marriage and from parish records I know he had a daughter born in 1812 but where, I have her burial which gives me a date of birth and states her parents were John and Mary .

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated

Sarah

Noakes, Salliss , White, Ainsworth , Costen , Darby , Smith , Gardner ,

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 28 May 11 18:30 BST (UK) »
Now I have found that he was awarded the Waterloo medal but I found John Hainsworths on Findmypast. One was for captain Claytons troop , the other Captain Thayts Troop. Is he one and the same or are there two John Hainsworths?
Sarah, although the name isn't all that common it does appear that we have 2 distinct John Hainsworths in the RHG at Waterloo, in different troops as you found.
The question now is which one is yours.
Where does your information to date come from? Do you have his papers?
Do you know if he was still alive in 1847? One of these 2 men was at the battle of Vittoria in 1813 as well, confirmed by the MGS roll (implying he was alive in 1847).
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline sussexbelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 28 May 11 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil, many thanks for quick reply. My John Hainsworth died in 1867 Greenwich.  I have him on the 1841, 1851 living in Barrow Upon Soar with his wife and children . He then left and is living in Horsham with his son Thomas and then ends up dying in Greenwich.

I know he attested on 12 March 1806 he was discharged in 1818 of being a weak constitution. My information comes from Find my past and Ancestry

I also found a John Hainsworth from Lancashire was also at Waterloo

Sarah

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 29 May 11 00:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

Born men joined the RHG in 1808. In order to discover which man on the Waterloo roll is yours you will have to follow his service on the muster books in Kew from Waterloo, to see which one was discharged in 1818.

Ken

Offline sussexbelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 29 May 11 06:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken , I know definately from the statement of service I have it is definately my John Hainsworth who joined in 1806 on 12th March , that he was from Barrow upon Soar he enlisted for unlimited service to the RHG. He served 14 yrs and 288 days before being discharged for being of a weakly constitution his health having suffered naturally when being on duty with his regiment in the pennisular france and belgium. It also states that he was allowed for service at the Battle of Waterloo for 2 yrs.
I know Kew is the obvious answer , time does allow at the present  Looks like it will join my list of things to search at Kew.
many thanks
Sarah

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 29 May 11 12:04 BST (UK) »
Sarah

I live in Loughborough and one of my training routes is through Barrow-on-Soar, if you have the address or street he was born/living in then if it still exists which I would think it would as Barrow hasn't changed alot in 200 years apart from some new houses going up I would be happy to take a few photos of the area for you.

My Waterloo ancestor Thomas Sheldon lived in Actons Yard, Front Street, Arnold, Nottingham after he was discharged and lived to 80 years old.  Actons Yard still exists and although Arnold has changed alot in certain places, where he was reported to live and the Sunday School he taught hasn't changed a bit.  Thomas was also the driver for the Director General of the Royal Hospital at Woolwich in 1841 and 1851 which was where most soldiers were assessed prior to medical discharge from the army so probably saw many of the soldiers who fought in the same campaign he did being discharged after many years service.

Mike Sheldon
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Offline sussexbelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 30 May 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I was born in Leicester and we moved to Brighton when I was 4 . My mother is from Hathern and we have a lot of roots around the area.  Thank you for your offer of photos , i shall let you know.

It sounds like you have found out a lot about your ancestor. I have been researching my family for the last 8 years and slowly but surely the brickwalls and slowly crumbling. My Waterloo ancestor being the latest.

Interested to see your user name Marathonman . I am also a runner and am just about to start increasing my training for the Guernsey marathon. My trip to Guernsey is not just to run the marathon but to also meet my second cousin who I connected up with on Genes Reunited

Sarah Russell

Offline Marathonman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 30 May 11 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah

My ancestor I've been told by the Association of Friends of the Waterloo Committee who are compiling lists of those who served and more importantly finding out where they are buried, is the only one so far that they know the most about who was an ordinary private soldier.

As for the running, I was a member of Barrow Runners up until this year when I changed to Charnwood AC based at Loughborough University. I ran the London Marathon this year and finished in 3hrs 27mins 28secs so doing 70+ miles a week during training made the difference to my finish time.  Now starting to train for my first triathlon

Let me know if you want the photos as its no trouble at all to stop mid run to take a few snaps.

Mike
Ran the London Marathon 2011 in 3rs 27mins 28secs for Help for Heroes

Sheldon - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Beeston, Nottingham, Kent
McRobie - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Leicester, Monimail-Fife
Kemp - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Melton Mowbray-Rutland
Turner - Long Eaton-Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire

Offline Ruby911t

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 25 September 11 12:21 BST (UK) »
Dear Helen,
I read your entries on relatives Hogg, Doolan, Wheeler with great interest, as I am in the process of researching this side of our family as well.   John Wheeler and Marie Ann Dottin Hogg are my ggg grandparents too.  Would be intersted to know your connection to this side of the family when you have time.
Kind Regards
Donna