Author Topic: Waterloo ancestors  (Read 32340 times)

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Waterloo ancestors
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
If you have any ancestors who fought at Waterloo (or you wonder if they might have done!) I'd be very interested to hear from you.

I keep a database of all BRITISH combatants and am always looking for more data to add.

Many thanks

Martin Aaron

Offline shell24a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 00:32 BST (UK) »
Does Martin Aaron still read this list and is he still collecting information on Waterloo Ancestors?

Or indeed is anyone collecting this information?

regards, fred ..

Offline Galantly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
If you have any ancestors who fought at Waterloo (or you wonder if they might have done!) I'd be very interested to hear from you.

I keep a database of all BRITISH combatants and am always looking for more data to add.

Many thanks

Martin Aaron

Offline shell24a

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 06 July 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Yes I saw your quote from Martin. Are you Martin?

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 07 July 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
I would like to ask my question ,we have very little information ,only a family letter written several years after the event
 Job Freegard bap Melksham Wilts 29/July/1782[born poss 1779],he was a Boot Maker in Calne, married Ann Stantial at Calne Wilts 5/march/1801 he died 13/Nov/1850 and is buried in Calne,so survived the battle

The Letter States"Well Great Grandpa was up and at it in 1815 against Napoleon all the time,after volunteering and the battle of Waterloo under Wellington"

I know not much to go on ,but thought the name Freegard might just be unusual enough to identify Job

Can you help ? best wishes Trevor

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 07 July 12 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor

Find My Past have 11 images for this man  -   Attestation corps:   Royal Engineers  Attestation soldier number:   8173

They are very clear and have a lot of details about him.

Jan

Editted: Sorry this cant be your man as I've just realised this one was born in 1846 and came from Kent, What a coincidence though with the unusual name and the fact he was also a shoemaker. Could it be a son?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harvo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 07 July 12 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
      Thanks for that this would be his Grandson Another Job Freegard and it was he who wrote the meagre information to his own son in 1829[Great Grandson of the Job 1779]about his Grandfather.Although there was more about other members of the family,it would appear there were several members in the military.

According to the 1881 census this Job born 1846 at Dover Kent, was a Corporal in the Royal Engineers  had served and married in Ireland.

Well Spotted,will look up on Find My Past,

Very Best Wishes Trevor

Offline dipsys dad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
I know I'm a bit late in replying, but I've only just found your request. For what it's worth, my gggf served in the 91st Regiment 2nd. Battalion, in Flanders and was wounded at the siege of Bergen op Zoom. When the 2nd Battalion was disbanded in 1814, he was promoted to the first battalion and served in the Waterloo campaign. He was Thomas Cockburn from Calton in the Barony Parish of Lanarkshire, and he joined up in 1811, being discharged honourably in 1818. He received the Waterloo Medal, and was granted 2 years bonus on top of his pension. He died in 1866, at Cambuslang in Lanarkshire.

Offline PBurton

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I don't know if you will see this as Im aware the thread is quite an old one, but its worth a try!

I am the battery historian for the current I Battery, (Bull's Troop) and came across your requests on David Simpson during my research on the book of the battery history. I do have a record of him serving with I Troop at Waterloo, but nothing else. If you do have anything else I could include in the book, I'd be grateful as I like to get as much information about the soldiers as possible.

You might also be interested to know that as a result of my research we are having a memorial erected at Waterloo to I Troop in recognition of their artillery support for Hougoumont.  This will be presented this coming May.