Author Topic: John Waring c 1803  (Read 14617 times)

Offline genefer26

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Waring c 1803
« on: Wednesday 04 March 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Have been struggling since 2000 with this ancestor and not progressed at all.

My great x grandfather John Waring was born 1803 in Herefordshire.  He worked as a farmer, ag lab according to the census.

1841 born in county
1851 born Hereford St Peters
1861 born Hereford city
1871 born Dorstone
1881 born Hereford

According to the IGI he was born in Furness, Hereford but on checking this information was advised no such place.  Unfortunately on the familysearch site information keeps being added as his stepson and son were both Mormons who went to America

Also listed in the records for Feb 18 1802 John Luntley Waring was baptised at Hereford St Nicholas and had single mother Mary.

Would anyone be inclined to believe these are one and same person.  I really do not know quite how to move forward with this.  Have tried many avenues as there was an Edmund Waring and family living in Herefordshire but not been able to link him in.

John's son George, his son James and my father Thomas were all born in Herefordshire around the Dorstone area.  Any suggestions on this would be very much appreciated. I did even have a researcher on this back in 2001 but nothing positive materialised.

Patricia Waring

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: John Waring c 1803
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:28 GMT (UK) »
How certain are you that you got the right John Waring on all of your censuses?

As I am sure you are aware, Dorstone and Peterchurch (as mentioned on IGI) are very close, and St Peters and St Nicholas are close in Hereford, but they are not particularly close to each other!

As far as I could see, all the birth records of John being born in Furness are submitted records.  Have the original parish registers been checked?  Does the marriage entry for John and Catherine state where John was from

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
In 1851, they have a travelling preacher with them - do you know if they belonged to a non-conformist denomination?

Offline genefer26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Not aware that they were.  However, John Carver natural son of Catherine and William Waring child of John Waring & Catherine became Mormons and both travelled to America in February 1850. 

Daughter Elizabeth allegedly eloped and went to Australia and California, and have researched her.

I have looked to see if I could find anything on this travelling preacher but drew blanks.

Offline genefer26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 March 09 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I really do feel that I have the right John Waring.  Did have a researcher looking at this family.  Unfortunately she never got around to looking at some of the parish records in the more local area but searched the Hereford main ones.

My research took me back via my father, who's own father was James Waring, his father being George who was son of John Waring and Catherine Carver. 

Do have a copy of a marriage cert from a book sent to me by the Mormons and there is nothing on this that shows any other information.  They were married 23rd July 1825.  No place of birth shown for John.  Have no idea where his birthdate of 20th November 1803 comes from even.

Son William was born in September 1825, some six weeks after their marriage but again no baptism record ever found. This information came via a family connection again in America.  Maybe a strong possibility that he wasn't their child.  With not living in Hereford area not able to search myself, unfortunately.

Offline Bonnie66

• RootsChat Member
  • Its never too late to find your "roots".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
This may not help but I am doing a search on "Wareing" as well and hit a brick wall, till I found out that there seems to be several spellings with "e" without "e" "o" for "a" etc and it is even spelt "Whoring" so perhaps you have to look at the spelling as well - I have 17 Bernards in my list and its a perfect headache - some I know went to Canada but which ones...

Dyan in NZ
Kelly, Lloyd, Hutchinson, Baynham, Myerscough, Hodson, Jones ,Paine (Payne Pain) Wareing, Hodgetts - Ireland, Warwickshire (Birminingham), Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent), Lancashire, Herefordshire

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
You know the Warin and Carver families are neighbours in 1841 I imagine.  Just Elizabeth age 5, but she was 8 or 9 as she was baptised 11th Nov 1832.  And there's Jonathan age 2, so all older children are somewhere else.  John and Catherine would have been about 16 when they married.

The 1841 census can be terrible with regard to ages, I found one list with four children age 15, teenagers that's close enough.

The few Parish records on line here, Wearing's after Elizabeth and plenty of Carver's.  Catherine baptised 27th Feb 1803, so she was about 38 not 35 as the census says.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

You can't rely on place of birth, many put the place where they are living when the census took place.

Part of my family became Mormons and went to Utah in 1866, and about 100 years ago a relative came back to collect parish information, there are errors, it was all hand written, what a task.  cheers fred

Offline genefer26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 09 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I knew the ages and places in the 1941 census were a bit off anyway.  Elizabeth was born 1832 and died in 1923 in California, she was 90 although it states on her death certificate she was 88. 

The family moved from Australia to California in 1870's, and their surname changed from Owens to Bevans.  Mormon family members insisted that she remarried (she was not a Mormon) but I said I did not believe she had.  Have heard since that her husband James was being charged with an arson attempt, believe now this is the reason the family left Australia.  Eldest daughter remained behind.

John Waring and where he actually was born is my brick wall.  He was working in Dorstone, Herefordshire married Catherine Carver in July 1825 but no clues as to his background.  There were other Waring's nearby but cannot link him to this family at all, and yet believe there is a connection.  I wonder now if he was a nephew but again have not found anything to back this up.  The IGI is a nightmare as others accept this information as correct.

I will carry on searching and maybe one day I will find an answer.
John Waring is listed as being born 20th November 1803

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 09 16:44 BST (UK) »
I think the answer will be in the Dorstone Parish records which are probably in the Hereford record office.  Someone on these boards may do a search for you.  I plan to drive over some time this summer. 

I know Shropshire records office will do a search, but of course there's a fee.  But they know what they are doing and what they charge for an hour might be way cheaper than someone travelling there themselves.  Good luck Fred