Author Topic: Livingstone  (Read 53867 times)

Offline anniehall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Livingstone
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 06 July 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
what a surprise, i google livingstone cadder and come up with you. from the few sketchy notes left behind by mother i see the name bessie (beatrice) , isle of butte, port banatine north of rothsay , father mcbride . also the names katie , willie livingstone  ( mother bessie)  i too have always been told we were related to david livingstone but have never been able to find the connection.  i think you and i must be related. my great grandmother was janet maclean, born june 26 1864, her mother was mary livingstone, her father was charles maclean. in auchinloch, near lenzie east of glasgow, there is a small house called "morven cottage" . bill livingstone lived in that cottage. next door is a larger home where uncle alan maclean lived. mary maclean (nee livingstone) was a farm labourer at broomknowes - east of auchinloch. my granny lived in glasgow but they all went to auchinloch on weekends and often walked to wallace's well for a good luck drink. these people were always going to rothesay to visit relatives, yours i assume. because of the cottage i have always thought they must have come from morvern. enough for today, thanks for post, its given me quite a few clues. did you ever get your david livingstone links figured out? have you heard they finally deciphered his last note found clutched in his dying hand.

Offline appinlad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
Great to hear some more information re Livingstones. I take it your Gt Gt Grandmother Mary Livingstone was our connection. She was born 24.08.1831 in Lochaline, Morvern to Alan Livingstone and Janet McInnes. Alan hailed from Lanark and indeed returned there after his wife died along with Mary. Mary had 5 siblings one of whom was Duncan Livingstone who was my Great Grandfather. My side went from Morvern to Kildavaig in Argyle and then to Port Bannatyne, Isle of Bute. I was born on Bute although my Mother is Canadian.  I would love to hear more of your side and happy to help with family tree data so let me know. 
Livingstone, Cunningham, Stewart, Hyndman,

Offline anniehall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 16:53 BST (UK) »
How delightful to find you have replied. I was happy to get the birthdate of mary, but i wondered  about that 1841 census from lachaline that someone posted for you.  it lists mary as 3 years old . Is that the same mary, or even a different family. and what about the mary aged 90. i find the ancient history of the family very interesting. in some reports of david livingstone's ancestors they mention that the livingstones were hiding out on Ulva and maybe Lismore Have you got that far back yet. My branch sailed to canada and settled in toronto circa 1926. there was great aunt polly,( Mary livingstone edgar) great aunt isa (isabel) my granny . called nan but real name ann. and their mother janet edgar, nee mclean. --born  at carderroch , june 26, 1864 . must get back to work, thanks again.

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 July 10 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hello!!! Its nice to hear from you! Would you say this is accurate?

Allan Livingston Married Janet McInnes

had Mary Livingstone who married Charles McLean

who had Janet Mclean who married your great-grandfather last name Edger

I descend from Allan and Janet's son Duncan Livingstone who married Elizabeth McBride and had my great grandmother Beatrice Livingstone.

there is a family tree on ancestry.ca that might interest you as the maker descends from the Mclean side as well and even had your great grandmother Janet McLean in his tree.

http://trees.ancestry.ca/tree/4406870/family/pedigree

Looking forward to talking to you

Torrie :)
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,

Offline kmaclea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 04:53 BST (UK) »
I'd like to invite you all to visit the Clan MacLea (Livingstone) web forum:

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/forum/index.php

Our Clan Historian and others know a lot more about the Dr David Livingstone connections.... Although firm connections are impossible (at this point) because Dr Livingstone was vague in his own memoirs about his family and may have made a generational error himself that makes determining exact relationships difficult.  But we are open to sharing information and making connections if we can!

There's also a DNA Project that is great if you have male Livingston/e relatives.

http://users.skynet.be/lancaster/Discussion%20Maclea.htm
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/livingston_maclea_dna/default.aspx

We in fact have a descendant of Dr Livingstone's brother in our Project (170+ men) and so if anyone has a male Livingston/e relative to test, we can know immediately upon testing if you are in the same male line as the Doctor!  (Along with lots of other lines, like Baron Livingstone and others.)

Anyway, have a look--and please come by.  We've got some great (free) discussions and have just started a brand new Clan Society with a great newsletter that you might really enjoy!

http://www.clanlivingstone.info/ClanSocietyJoin.htm

Kyle MacLea
Clan Commissioner, DNA Project co-admin

Offline robertalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 05 March 15 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I am also researching my Livingstone ancestor. My great great grandmother Ann Livingston (e) married William Stewart at Old Kilpatrick in 1834 and their children's names were Robert, Janet, Margaret, and John
Bob