Author Topic: Livingstone  (Read 53942 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Livingstone
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Duncan Livingston and a Betsy McBride showing in 1876 in Kilfinan, where the family show in 1881 that looks promising. Again, Beatrice's birth cert. will let you confirm it is the right one with the confirmation of her mother Betsy's surname  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bets

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:56 GMT (UK) »
We have McBride and Whitelock cousins here that my mom and her sisters always visited in the summer.

One of the men I remember was a Duncan Mcbride

betsy

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Betsy  :)

I found this site from google www.desmond-mcallister.info/Eng/Ancestors/aqwg387.htm#12763

They have Alexander McBride and Isabella McAllister as Elizabeth (Betsy)'s parents. You can use the links to go into different lines.

Monica

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Torrie

See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swilson/livingstone/livingstone.htm for the tree that you're aiming to connect with.

The missionary David is the one born 1813 in Blantyre.

Wullie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:17 GMT (UK) »
There's lots around isn't there Wullie - if only all our families were so well documented!

There is a particularly extensive tree for this Livinstone line on google www.reclaimed-treasures.com/rlivingston/dd7.htm, "DESCENDANTS OF NEIL LEVINGSTON AND AGNES HUNTER (FATHER & MOTHER OF DR. DAVID LIVINGSTONE).

Hopefully, you may find the connection!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:29 GMT (UK) »
You also have another descendant of Duncan and Betsy:

My ancestors were in Lochaline in the 1800's my great etc grandfather Duncan Livingston was born here in 1833 his mother janet McInnes died there in 1855. Trying to find out if Duncan Livingston his grandfather and Mary Cameron his grandmother were born in the area. Allan Livingston was born 1795 in Lanark he married in Morvern in 1827. Would anyone out there have information on them I have hit a wall....

www.ukvillages.co.uk/guest_book/Acharn (Highland)-Highland&logid=

This explains why Allan showed as born in Scotland (outside of the county) for the 1841 census. The marriage for Allan and Janet shows on 05 APR 1827 Morven, Argyll in the Old Parish Registers.

Monica

Added: I'm having problems pasting the link to the specific post on UK villages - let me see if I can get round it  :-\
...and the answer is no I can't, but if you go to UK Villages site you should be able to find the post and be able to contact the poster via her email.

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
As noted by Torrie, Beatrice was born in Port Bannatyne in Bute in 1887, her parents being Duncan, a fisherman, and Betsy (Elizabeth) McBRIDE, who were married in Kilfinan in 1876, just across the water from Bute.

The 1876 marriage shows the parents as Allan LIVINGSTON and Janet LIVINGSTON  MS  McINNES , and Alexander McBRIDE and Isabella McBRIDE  MS  McALISTER.

Janet LIVINGSTON MS McINNES died in 1855 in Lochaline in Morvern parish.

Allan died in Kilfinan parish in 1867, aged 78, parents Duncan LIVINGSTON and Mary CAMERON.  Back to this generation I can't see a connection to the missionary David LIVINGSTON, - but that's not to say that there isn't a connection in earlier generations !

Wullie

Offline kirkmichael

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 09 23:46 GMT (UK) »
And then, on www.familysearch.org, there's ..........

MARY LIVINGSTON  Christening:  02 DEC 1792   Lanark, Lanark, Scotland

Parents:
Father:  DUNCAN LIVINGSTON
Mother:  MARY CAMERON     

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.     

Wullie

Offline Torrie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 March 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
WOW! Thank you so much for all this great information!

Before I pay for the birth certificate at Scottland's People, I was wondering how the site works...one credit for every certificate? What is it that I will be looking at when I pay to see a statutory Birth record...will it be a copy of the original or typed out information?
I can't wait to see her birth certificate (crossing fingers its the right one), as it will verify all the information from the census!!!!

Thank you again for all of your work!!

Torrie
Scott, Coulson, Simpson, Livingstone, Odgers, McBride, McAlister, McInnes, Aitichison, McCallum, Cameron, McKinnon, Fullerton, Robertson, Fairbairn, Craig, Draffin,