Author Topic: Bullion/Bollion  (Read 4292 times)

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bullion/Bollion
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find out anything about James Bollion and his wife, Helen Wallace.  He was a weaver and they were having a family in Prestwick/Monkton in the 1790s.  I have nothing regards his birth or birthplace - it doesn't seem to be in Prestwick/Monkton.  (I've gone through the original parish record.  It goes back much further than the 1790s but no Bullion or its variants are named.)

I've been stuck here so long.  I'd be so glad to get any help or advice.

Offline MichaelSerchio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bullion/Bollion
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 May 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

James Bollion and Helen Wallace were my 5xgreat-grandparents.

I would be interested in communicating. Can you please send me your email address?

Thanks,
Michael

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 May 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. New members usually need 3 posts to use PM (Personal Message) system.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MichaelSerchio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 May 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the advice.

Offline lfm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Wondering if either of you (or other extended family) have had any luck tracing this family. James & Helen are my 6xgreat grandparents, would really like to find out where they came from.

I've looked through the Farm Horse Tax Rolls for all of Ayrshire, long shot I know seeing as how they were weavers, but no Bunyan/Bullion/Bollian or anything close.

The only leads I currently have to go on are some possible nieces/nephews from Monkton & Prestwick OPRs:

- John Smith Bullion b. 16 Mar 1794, lawful son to Francis Bullion, weaver in Prestwick and Margt. Smith

- Sarah Bullion b. 27 Mar 1799, lawful dau. to William Bullion, weaver in Prestwick & Je. Bullion (there is a note in the OPR, as sented(sp?) by Francis Bullion his brother)

- Thomas Bullion b. 16 Nov 1802, lawful son to William Bullion, weaver in Prestwick & Agnes Clark his spouse

Looks likely to me that there were (at least) 3 Bullion brothers who came to Prestwick and worked together as weavers.

Also have an OPR of a death of Margaret Bullion in 1844, age 53 of Kirkhill (Neilston, Renfrew) - could be unrelated.

Considering a trip to Carnegie Library in Ayrshire to see if I can get ahold of MIs or have any luck with the newspapers, or to the old graveyard in Prestwick where I believe James & Helen's son should be buried.

Looking for tips or information anyone can help me with before I go?

Offline junesunkel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 October 16 04:11 BST (UK) »
Suggestion is that the three brothers are from Auchtergarven, Perthshire. No verified documentation though. James and Helen are my 4 X grandparents. My maiden surname is Bunyan.

Offline Stephanie Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Employed with East Ayrshire Council since July 1996 - background includes Finance IT Housing allocations/homeless support Social work - assessing and care managing, including OT support. SDS implementation Current role is within Social Work in the C
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hello james (bullion) later bunyan is my x6 great grandfather. 
I believe he was born around 1770 in Perthshire
Their son John was born in monotonous/prestwick on 8th August 1793 and this is the line I come from
I’d love to speak to anyone related

Offline Stephanie Graham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Employed with East Ayrshire Council since July 1996 - background includes Finance IT Housing allocations/homeless support Social work - assessing and care managing, including OT support. SDS implementation Current role is within Social Work in the C
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 18:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry - monkton/prestwick
Wee typo lol

Offline Craigb1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 January 22 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am researching the line of Bunyan, and have come upon a change of name from Bunyan to Bullion in the 1820s - 1830s

Its a bit sketchy so just looking to see if any one can confirm anything.

My gr gr gr gr gr grandfather being a Francis Bunyan born around 1827 in Prestwick, 4th of 5 children (Helen, Elizabeth, James, Francis, Anne)

Some research points to Francis' father being John Bullion, born 1793 in Prestwick, dies 1855 in Prestwick.  married to an Elizabeth Forbes.

John Bullion's father is James Bullion, born about 1765 in Glenalmond Perthsire,
JOhn Bullion's mother is Helen Wallace, born unknown.

firstly looking to see if on the right track, and that any of these dates could be approximate.  then also intrigued as to why, if so,  John Bullion and Elizabeth Forbes named their five children Bunyan.

if so, if there are any further upward line or siblings from James Bullion from Glenalmond?