Author Topic: Simms Motor Units Limited Oak Lane East Finchley  (Read 15033 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simms Motor Units Limited Oak Lane East Finchley
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter & Ken

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

As we have a 'no living people' policy here on Rootschat, I have had to edit some of the details you both posted.

However, if anyone who has already contributed to the topic reads your posts and recognises the surnames, I'm sure they will come back and let you know.

If you are looking to re-establish old acquaintances, the sites such as Friends Re-united would be a more appropriate place to post.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline John Johnstone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 November 14 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred
I worked at Simms Mtrs in Falconer street which was next to the Forth Goods Yard in Newcastle I think the building is still there.
i started there in 1962 as a sales rep, the manager was a Mr John Fothergill he was a real terror.
it had a large Auto Electrical  and Diesel depts plus stores and office staff in total about fifty staff
We had a great Xmas party every year when the m/d  Mr Jimmy Bell and other branch managers  got very merry
I left in 1971 to manage a branch in Sunderland for Chloride Gaedor 

Offline valyeates

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 January 15 21:20 GMT (UK) »
would anyone remember Frank Zablocki? He worked at Simms , London. I am trying to find someone who knew him.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 February 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi valyeates

Welcome back  ;D

According to the GRO death index his death was registered in Eastbourne in 2006.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pwmitchell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 August 15 15:48 BST (UK) »
My grandfather Fred Mitchell worked at Simms in East Finchley from 1940 until his death at only age 60, in December 1963. He actually passed away on site at Oak Lane.
Does anyone remember him? Or does anytone have any old photographs of the Simms plant?
I'd be very happy to hear from you.
Regards,
Paul Mitchell

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 August 15 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

There have been several replies on this topic but once posted, those who have don't seem to return.

Each would have received an email notification of a reply but only for the 1st one after their post. There woud be no further notifications until they come back and read the topic.

If you stay with Rootschat and increase your post count you could try sending a personal message to people. They may not be able to reply if their post count isn't 2 or above.

Sorry not to be most positive for you.

Dawn

Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Ray Walker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 January 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Simms Motor Unit  was a large factory in Oak Lane, East  Finchley, not far from the North Circular Road when I started there in 1957 as an apprentice
Many hundreds of people worked there

Offline FredRogers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 January 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the lovely replies ...Sadly my Dad now has advanced stages of Alziemers so I can no longer share these stories with him .I am very grateful for the time you have spent to reply .I have been a rare visitor to Roots Chat of late due to other circumstances  so apologies in the delay of a response .

Offline Mike K

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 08 June 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, Hi thought I should add my short experience with the Simms Company. I joined Simms at Athol St  Liverpool in 1969 as an apprentice in the fuel injection workshop. Ron Rawsthorn and George Downey were me mentors. In 1970 together with another apprentice Joe Burns we were sent to Oak Lane Finchley on apprentice training, we stayed with a family at Moss Hall Grove, Finchley.
On our first visit to The Oak Lane Factory I remember seeing a fountain in the shape of an injection nozzle, we were given a tour of the factory and saw the various departments of design and testing. Later we were taken to a separate site where the apprentices were trained, we were made very welcome by the lads and were invited for an evening drink at the local which I think was The Green Man! Whilst at Finchley we were conveyed to the various Simms/Lucas plants by a young woman who drove a Saab car. The whole experience was impressive and well planned.
I was at Athol St until we were amalgamated into LSUK and moved to the larger branch in Edge Lane ,Liverpool in 1974. I spent the next few years there until I moved to LSUK Birkenhead as workshop manager in 78. Lucas's stature as a major player in the motor industry began to diminish in the late 70s, LSUK also had a surplus of branches  on Merseyside having also taken Globe and Simpson into the group and Birkenhead branch was closed in 1980 ,I along with the rest of the staff were made redundant.
I look back on my time with Simms/LSUK with fondness having met and shared time with some great people who I have now lost touch with. If anyone can relate to anything in this brief story it would be good if you could make your addition to this site.       Mike Kenny