Author Topic: Suffolk Surnames Website  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Suffolk Surnames Website
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
http://www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk/

This site hasn't been updated for a year now, does anyone know what is happening with it ?
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline rogerbc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Surnames Website
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:34 GMT (UK) »
hi alan

last year one of the site organisers past away which left the other partner with a huge task. the last I heard assistance was being asked for

regards roger
Armon Arman Armond Almond Bowen Bohun Flint Shingles Mealham Burgess Adams Bunn Cook Woodrow (Norfolk)
Woodrow Cook Barnard Rusted Godfrey Houghton Ayers (Suffolk)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 March 09 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am hoping to re-launch the website in the next few weeks, having had a great deal of help replicating the website from a fellow Suffolk FH in Australia.  I have everything at home in FrontPage and it is all being converted.

Unfortunately Ray Long my dear web partner, and friend to my husband John and myself, passed away following an aggressive brain tumour last autumn.

When we had problems with our web host a couple of years ago, Ray was visiting us in Suffolk and copied the web site from my PC to a memory stick - he was then able to operate the web site from his PC.

I have always written all the pages of information which I forwarded to Ray and he kept the pages of submissions up to date.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to negotiate with Ray's widow on the subject of either the Suffolk Surnames List or the Cosford Database - therefore, I am having to start all over again and I can only assume she will continue to host the 'old' version of the web site.

As there are so many submissions to add to the website, I think it best that once I am up and running again, all submissions and amendments are resent (at present they are going to Ray's email address which is no longer in operation).

I apologise for the problems and hope that we shall soon be back in business thanks to all the help and advice I have had from Terry Aspinall www.terryaspinall.com (who was aided and abetted at times by Neil Langridge www.stowmarket-heritage.co.uk).

If you contact me via PM or from the website link to me Alanb I will get back to you.
Thankx Rogerbc  :)

With best regards, Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor - I have to find two more !
Lots of Suffolk family history information at
www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Alan b

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 March 09 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Oh so sorry to hear that Ray passed away, I was completely unaware of that and I feel a bit guilty now for starting this thread. It would be a shame to loose such a valuable resource so perhaps in time the two sites (if that is what is going to happen) can be combined.
Bloomfield, Knights, Whitmore, Warner (Suffolk)
Hamlin (London, Yorkshire, Scotland, Suffolk)
Mattocks, Newick, Nutter, (Kent)
Mattocks (Staffs)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 March 09 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in the progress of your site Pat, so am bookmarking.  ;)

I'd like to add that I really admire dedicated people such as yourself, your friend Ray and others you've mentioned, who put in so much work on such projects, for people worldwide to search for free. You are all to be commended.

Best wishes.

Offline alisonlbutler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 March 09 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I would like to say a big thank you to you Pat for all your hard work and also all your help.
I am very sorry to hear your web partner passed away.

Although I live way over in Hertfordshire I do have a lot of computer/web experience, if there is anything I can do to help even if it is just typing please let me know, it would be my way of giving something back for your help.

Very Best Wishes

Alison

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Family history researchers from all over the world are still leaving messages of condolence on the Guest Books of both www.cosford-database.co.uk and www.suffolk-surnames-list.co.uk - as I requested last year, that way Ray's children are able to see the messages.

I do have a complete copy of the web site on my home PC and in fact have re-written the Home Page - I use FrontPage and have been amending hyperlinks etc too.  It's the problem of getting a second version of the web site on the 'net and putting it 'up there' which is the stumbling block for me.  I have registered the URL and it is paid up for another two years, however, I have been unable to sort out this aspect of the web site with Ray's widow.

When the site is re-launched, it will probably have a slightly different name - I will make sure that I post the details here.

Many thanks for the offers of help and support - I will get back to you all   :)

Pat ...
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?