Author Topic: Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)  (Read 2281 times)

Offline KevTheGreenMan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)
« on: Thursday 05 March 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for info on the parents, birth/baptism and hopefully siblings, of James Turtill (born c.1750) who married Elizabeth Downing of Bromeswell, in Bromeswell, Nov 3 1771. They lived in Trimley St. Mary as inn keepers at the Mariners from about 1773. I've searched the registers of all the parishes for miles around both sides of the Deben + Ipswich & Woodbridge but get the horrible feeling I've missed something... here's a tantalising snippet from the Trimley St. Mary parish register and the earliest date I can get : James son of William and Mary Turtle Bapt. July 8 1769 in Trimley St. Mary - if this is the same person,  he would have been nineteen years old when he was baptised! (He died 27/5/1809 aged 59). The only William and Mary Turtle I can find of the right vintage to be parents were married 14 Oct 1745 in  Dauntsey, Wiltshire, this doesn't seem right. Can find nothing else. Help please!

Kevin.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
Re: Trimley St Mary’s Parish Registers -TURTILL (TURTLE)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 March 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I cant help with tracing anything but are you looking at a copy of the parish records or the original - I've noticed when I'm looking at copies that the person who copied them isnt always clear on dates and in my case put all the siblings being baptised at the same date - when I traced the birth records and cross referenced them to the bapt dates the youngest was baptised at 3 and the eldest at 24 - I suppose this is possible but I think the scribe most likely copied a whole page out and put them all under one date as there were lots of others not related baptised on the same date - too many for one church to get through in a day!!!
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline KevTheGreenMan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking at microfiche of the originals at Suffolk Records Office, Lowestoft branch. Thanks for the interest.

Offline Yi Win

• RootsChat Senior
  • de Blunvil - Blomvyle - Blomfield - Bloomfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 09 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Good Luck!!!
de Blunvil, Blomville. Blomvyle, Blomfield, Bloomfield, Gotterson, Tuck, de Burgh,

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 18 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I know your original post is now  9 years old which means you may have solved your problem. I have carried out extensive on-line studies of the Turtles in Suffolk. My records show that "James son of William and Mary Turtle Bapt. July 8 1769 in Trimley St. Mary" is a completely separate family and not related to  James Turtill (born c.1750) who married Elizabeth Downing of Bromeswell, in Bromeswell, Nov 3 1771.

I am afraid I do not know the parents of James Turtill 1750-1800 who married Elizabeth Downing but I have their son James Turtill 1773-1816 who married Mary Smyth at Trimley St Mary in 1794 and their daughter Mary Turtill 1772 baptised 23 Feb 1772 at St Edmund Bromeswell. hope this helps.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 20 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have just found this thread and am very interested about your Turtle research, having just posted this here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827462.new#new

Hi my ancestor Robert Turtle (c1770/76-1842) is a bit of a mystery. The name seems to originate in Suffolk but I haven't found a definite baptism.

However with Ancestry DNA I have a match to someone descended from a James Turtill who married Elizabeth Downing in 1771 and who lived at Trimley.

Their son was James Turtill was apparently baptised at Trimley in 1773 and I therefore wonder if this is where my Robert Turtle was from.

Are you able to help with this at all? It looks like you don't have a Robert baptised in Trimley though.

I have however seen there is an 1828 will of an Elizabeth Turtill in Trimley here:

http://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_IC_AA1_248_22

Have you seen that will at all please?

My Robert Turtle was a gardener in Lambeth, Surrey but was not born in the county.

There is a John Turtle in Surrey who was also a gardner who I assume might be Robert's brother or relative. This John had children in Surrey from 1801 onwards by Mary Hammond, but I have not found their marriage so wonder if they married out of London.

Have you please come across any Turtles in Suffolk who were gardeners at all?

Thanks,
Jon

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jon

Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to open the Suffolk wills you referred to, even though I have a login for the Suffolk record office,unless it has now become obsolete.

However checking my records I do have a Robert Turtle 1771 -1841 born in Falkenham which is only a few miles up the road from Trimley St Mary.

I have the following details on him.
"First name(s)  Robert
Last name  Turtle
Baptism year  1771
Baptism date  20 Oct 1771
Parish  St Ethelbert
Place  Falkenham
Father's first name(s)  William
Mother's first name(s)  Sarah
Relationship  Son
Residence  -
County  Suffolk
Country  England

Robert's siblings are
William turtle 1766 born at Kirton
Roger Turtle 1773 born at Falkenham

I do have a death for a Robert Turtle in Suffolk in 1841 but whether this is the Robert you are looking for I don't know.

Death Name:  Robert Turtle
Registration Year:  1841
Registration Quarter:  Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district:  Woodbridge

Perhaps if you could give me some more details of Elizabeth Turtle's will, then perhaps it will help me to fill in some of the gaps that I have.

thanks

Alan

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I do have a death for a Robert Turtle in Suffolk in 1841 but whether this is the Robert you are looking for I don't know.

Death Name:  Robert Turtle
Registration Year:  1841
Registration Quarter:  Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district:  Woodbridge

Hi I am revisiting the Turtle family and now seen your reply. Many, many apologies for not replying at the time.

I have now looked at this Robert Turtle's age at death in the GRO index and he was 87 so born c1754. He must be a different one to the Robert Turtle baptised in 1771.

Thanks again and all for now,
Jon