Author Topic: DAWES + MURTON in Bere Ferris 1841 & 1851  (Read 7850 times)

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Great, Great Granny Willoughby
    • View Profile
Re: DAWES + MURTON in Bere Ferris 1841 & 1851
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 March 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
HI JL

Peter Dawe that you previously mentioned was the son of William & Hannah Dawe. William in 1841 is aged 45 & not born in Devon. He is also a miner. Peter is aged 2 & is one of 6 children. William & Hannah married in 1824. No record of their children being baptied I also can't see them in the 1851 census as yet.

Regards Suzanne

Offline JudyLynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 March 09 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Wait, wait -- we're talking about two different young Peters!

William & Hannah DAWE did indeed have a 2-year-old son Peter (b. circa 1839) living with them for the 1841 census.  I'm not interested in him just yet.

Ambly's reply #4 mentions that living a couple doors away from Peter & Betsey DAWE in 1861 (outside Gunnislake) was the family of Peter & Mary DAWS.  This Peter was born circa 1819).  It's this potential "Peter Jr." who I hope to find in the 1841 census of Beer Ferris, around age 21. 

I appreciate your checking anyway :-)  And thanks for identifying the church.  Can you share the title of the book you mentioned?  Maybe I should consider expanding my library  ::)

I will welcome info on the marriage of Peter & the VINGUS woman whenever you can get to it!   

Give an extra hug to your wee lad for sharing his mum's time with me,
~JudyLynn
CON: Bawden, Dawe(s), Johns, Martin, Merten/Murton/Morton, Odger, Osborne, Rowe, Spargo
DEV: Dawe(s), Vigus
NBL: Brewis, Horn, Main, Smith, Storey?
STS: Mould?, Stanier/Stonier
YKS: Clifton, Crawford, Crossland, Emerson, Millburn, Myers, Sharp, Stephenson, Wildridge
WAL: Edwards, Whitmore
IRE: Higgins, Nash, Wilson
ANT: Bovill(e), Burnett, Chesney, McClure, Morrison

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 March 09 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jl

Wee lad very poorly so visit posponed :(. I'll check when I can.

Suzanne

Offline JudyLynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWE & VIGUS
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 March 09 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzanne,

Hope Wee Lad is feeling better!  I would still very much like to learn about that DAWE-VIGUS marriage when you have a chance -- or if anybody else out there can help.  Since it appears the DAWEs came from Cornwall originally, perhaps the VIGUS family were true Devonites!

Have a good weekend,
~JL
CON: Bawden, Dawe(s), Johns, Martin, Merten/Murton/Morton, Odger, Osborne, Rowe, Spargo
YKS: Clifton, Crawford, Crossland, Emerson, Millburn, Myers, Sharp, Stephenson, Wildridge

Offline suzanne2812

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 March 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jl

Totally for got to tell you as we have all been ill & Seb is now coughing after his ear infection & my daughter now has the ear thing. Add to that my cold & it's a happy household!

Anyway I did look at the parish microfiche & it's all pretty inconclusive. Both were of age & both had parents consent & both were sojourners. No clues at all except the witnesses were not relatives. That's quite common where my husband's family came from in Cornwood. I think as their child had the middle name if Vigus that his mother was Elizabeth Vigus. I have found so many people who have done that in my tree. I even revised the tradition by giving Seb my maiden name as his middle name. Sorry there was no more.

All The Best
Suzanne

Offline JudyLynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Peter DAWES "Jr." in 1841
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 March 09 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Goodness, Suzanne -- pass hot toddies all 'round and be done with the sickhouse!  Thank you again for your time, and your quick response today.  Get well soon!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, may I beg anyone else for my remaining lookup under this topic?

I'm searching for Peter DAWS / DAWE.  This Peter "Jr." was born in St. Mewans, Cornwall,  circa 1819, so age would be about 21.  He is not listed with the folks I believe may be his parents (Peter & Betsy DAWE) in Beer Ferris, but I expect him to be nearby.

I know he had a child born in 1844; there may have been other kids born by 1841.  Also, he might have been married (to Mary ___) by 1841 ... or maybe not!  In case he was living with relatives, one clue is that his mother's surname might have been VIGUS.

Thanks in advance for helping me finish my "to-do" list!
~JudyLynn

Offline KLavis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hello JudyLynn:

Mary Dawes is also in my tree as my GGGGrandmother. It seems we are researching the same branches. In 1871 census Mary Ann Dawes Murton (widowed) is living in Calstock, Gunnislake with children Susanna, Wm. J., Joseph H. Alfred and Eliza as well as Emma Vigus, Aunt. Emma is shown as being unmarried in previous census so she is not her father's sister and I think not her mother's sister. I believe that Mary Ann's parents are John Dawe and Ann Strike (per LDS) Dawe who lived next door to them on Pepper St. Ann Strike Dawe's brother Richard Strike's daughter married a Mary Vigus. This Mary Vigus would be first cousin to Mary Ann Dawes, therefore the unmarried aunt who lived close by may have been considered a kind of aunt. I could send you some info that I sketched out using various sources if you can figure out how to email me. I can't figure out how to email you and very much like to speak with you. My great grandfather George Murton was born in Shamokin, PA
Thanks.
Kathy

Offline JudyLynn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DAWES + MURTON
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 20:56 BST (UK) »
Dear 4TH COUSIN Kathy!

I didn't even know whether Great-Great-Uncle George's kids had lived to adulthood!  How wonderful of you to find me :-)

I would love to hear anything and everything about your side of the family.  I believe Uncle George was married to Mary JAMES?  Where did his family settle?  My side remained around Shamokin, and the third Cornish sibling, Elisha MURTON, settled in Schuylkill Co.

I'm unfamiliar with the John DAWE & Ann (STRIKE) you mention, and would appreciate a note as to your research to that point.  If you get a chance to check my other posts, you'll see I have reason to believe that our GGGGrandma Mary Ann (DAWES) MURTON was the daughter of Peter DAWE & Elizabeth "Betsey" (VIGUS).  If I'm correct, the Emma VIGUS you found could've been a sister to Betsey, and so would indeed have been Mary Ann's true aunt.  How old was Emma in the 1871 census?  And with whom was she found in the census of 1861, of 1851, & of 1841?

We have much to discuss and share!  Let's start using RootsChat private messages -- if you go to the very top of this page when you're logged in, it will say "Welcome back, KLavis, you have 1 message" (or however many).  Just click on the "1 message" link and it'll take you to your inbox.  I'll go send a message now.

Hooray for rootschat.com!
~JudyLynn

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Both,

I think you have to have posted three times before you can PM - Kathy needs to respond twice more - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk