Author Topic: Ballantyne family  (Read 7092 times)

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantyne family
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 September 10 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Disgruntled,

My grandmother, Ellen Ballantyne, b. 1903, was the grand-daughter of Duncan and Ellen.  My mother, also Helen, is almost 80 and remembers her grandfather Duncan and Rosetta, her grandmother, though both died when she was a child.  It might help you get a picture of the kind of people the family were, to hear a little of them.

Duncan junior, (born c. 1864) was a tall man with a strong Irish accent.  When he was near, all the children knew that theyw ere to be quiet.  He told wonderful stories - a real gift for the blarney.  He was very Presbyterian.  In those days, (pre WW2) the Sabbath was avery solemn and joyless day - with him it was even stricter.  He would not allow his daughters to look out of the window on a Sunday.

Rosetta McLeanBallantyne (and yes, the name altered a lot - have you found Bonnatine?)  was an old woman in a long black dress and a mutch, sitting in a rocking chair.  Very kind and gentle, during the war she saved her precious sugar ration to make toffee for all the children.  They had 11 children.

Researching this famly has been difficult, with lots of data not adding up.

The Lagavgara/Ballycastle thing may be explained by saying that at the time, at least, Lagavara was tiny and Ballycastle was probably the place which was where BMDs were registered.  My grandmother always said she was born in a farm cottage by the side of the road at Carrondhu.  (Not sure about the spelling.)  That may have been the same family farm, but I'm not sure. 
What I do know is that her Aunt Nancy ran the farm until her death, sometime, I think, in the 50s.

As for the different marriage dates.  It's quite possible the marriage was not one which had a ceremony.  I'm unsure about the practice in Ireland, but here in Scotland such marriages were legal, but not very respectable.  They also caused questions of legitimacy.

I don't have John's name on my tree, but if you have access to GenesReunited, my tree's available to view as Elaine Ferguson.  It clearly shows my problems with confusions in data.

It's great to talk to a distant cousin.  I'm having trouble with this reply, but you can send me a message via genes if you wish.

Elaine

Offline Lagavar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 April 18 11:48 BST (UK) »

My Grampa (Duncan) inherited his Aunt Nancy’s farm and subsequently sold it to a neighbouring farmer.  I have a copy of the sale documentation.

In August 2013, I tracked the property down (it is not that easy to find as it is in a dip and hidden from view down a disused track).  It is in a sad state but you can work out where the houses were.  The location is just off Ballinlea Road, near its junction with Lagavara Road.  The following link should take you to the spot:-
https://www.bing.com/maps?&cp=55.21176~-6.357063&lvl=19&style=h&osid=b300a150-1c7f-4c4d-9a9b-f6bed79d807d&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027 

I have some photos I took when I was there and am happy to share them if you are interested.

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 02 April 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Lagavar--I'm delighted to see this topic is still active/accessible!
I'd be very interested in seeing the sales documentation for this farm. My sister and I visited Ireland/Northern Ireland last May (2017), and spent a brief time cruising Ballinlea Road; as you note, the buildings are not very visible from the road.
We also made a disappointing pilgrimage to PRONI, which, after scrolling through indexes and microfiche, yielded precisely one document: the record of the marriage of Duncan Ballentine and Rosetta (nee McLean) on 26 July 1894 at Ballintoy Parish Church (Diocese of Connor, Church of Ireland. This pretty church, which overlooks the coast, was built in 1813, and now unfortunately adjoins a road frequented by buses conveying visitors on Game of Thrones tours.) Do you have a family tree available to share? My most complete version is, like fergaine's, on Genes Reunited.
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland

Offline Lagavar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 April 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message.

I have now signed up to Genes Reunited and will look for your tree and Fergaine's. 

My Ballantyne tree is pretty much based on one I received from another of our "cousins" which, in turn, was based on Fergaine's - but that was about a couple of years ago so probably well out of date by now!

Offline Lagavar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 April 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if you managed to go inside the church however the attached photo is of the Roll of Honour and shows that Private J Ballentine served in the Army during the Great War (and presumably survived).