Author Topic: Ballantyne family  (Read 7159 times)

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ballantyne family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 March 09 22:37 GMT (UK) »
If it has a large golf course it is.  That's all I know.  They came from a row of farm cottages which don't exist now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 March 09 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 March 09 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I think it's Cairndhu golf course

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 March 09 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Cairndhu Golf Club isn't really near Ballycastle- near Ballygally between Larne and Glenarm along coast road.

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 March 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Might explain why I've had so much bother.  Between my gran's spelling and my lack of knowledge aof Irish geography. 

I can't seem to find any town or village.  Is it all just a golf course and a run down mansion?  Would the farm have belonged to the estate?

Sorry to monopolise you, but you've given me more information tonight than I've found in 10 years.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 March 09 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Just dug out detailed townlands map of Ballycastle area and will get back in a few minutes.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 March 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Carnduff townland, Ramoan Parish, Ballycastle Poor Law Union (just outside Ballycastle heading towards Ballintoy- not that close to Gracehill Golf Club which is in Stranocum.

There's also a Carnduff townland, Inver Parish, Larne Poor Law Union but my maps don't go far enough in that direction.

However, the details I found before are Ballycastle Registration District.

Here a site listing golf courses in Co. Antrim:
www.travelireland.org/antrim/antrim_golf_courses.html

Offline fergaine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 07 March 09 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  I really appreciate all your efforts.

Offline CPTDisgruntled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 September 10 05:13 BST (UK) »
Fergaine, this is very exciting for me--you and I are some species of cousin!!

My grandmother, Christina Ballantyne, emigrated from Greenock in 1929.  Her father was John Ballantyne, who worked as a sugarhouse stoker (probably in the Tate & Lyle refinery on Drumfrochar Road).  Census returns from 1881 and 1891 give his birth year as 1855.  His death registration lists his parents as Duncan Ballantyne, farmer, and Helen, nee Morgan.

After that things get a little interesting: in the 1881 census return, John is living as a lodger whose status is given as unmarried (I am confident I have the right one--he is identified as Irish, and sharing lodgings with another Irishman having the same surname as his wife); in the 1891 census, he is a married man (his wife is Eliza/Elizabeth/Eliza J./Eliza Jane!, nee Hopkin/Hopkins) and he has nine children!! the three eldest of whom are born before 1881! Was Eliza married previously?  Perhaps--but on his children's birth certificates he reports that he and Eliza were married in 1875, 1877, and 1880 (on three different months, in three different seasons).  Twice he gives the place of marriage as Ballycastle, and once as Lagavara (which looks like not much more than a crossroads, just to the west of Ballycastle).

On the 1881 census, he reports that while all the younger children were born in Greenock, the three eldest children were born in Duns, Berwickshire; I cannot find birth records for the three eldest anywhere in Scotland.

He was apparently illiterate (he made his mark on each birth registration), so I could understand some vagueness about his anniversary--though five years rather exceeds what I'd accept!
His illiteracy has also complicated searching--his name is spelled Ballantyne, Ballentine, etc., and his wife's is also variable.  This is the first time I've encountered Bonnatine!

I have a couple of marriage certificates from John's children, and they were married "after publication according to the forms of the Church of Scotland."

I haven't been able to pin down anything in Antrim either.  I'd love to hear more from you!

Moderator's Note: also posted here as a new topic-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=484919.new#new
Coopers and Ballantynes in Ireland