Author Topic: Can yoy read this?  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Can yoy read this?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 10:12 GMT (UK) »
It would be worth trying to find the coroners report on this one if only to find out what they describe as 'a visitation of god'

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I know that - fatal stroke or heart seizure. :'(
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone I think it is Brain.  Looking at the B in Blood it is similar.  It's the first time I've had a visitation from God.

I will try for the inquest.  I was a bit disappointed not to find a relative as the informant.

This man's occupation was described as Out pensioner, Chelsea hospitals, from the 63rd regiment of ???????? 6th May 1799
I know he had lost part of his foot while abroad and was in the 63rd regiment of foot but what does it say.  He went on to father at least 6 children and served in the Royal Veterans during the Napoleonic War.  My most interesting relative.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth contacting Chelsea Hospital as they might keep records of all their previous 'pensioners'. I think they only have so many Chelsea Pensioners who live in the hospital grounds but they still might be able to help

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylviaann,

I read it as; Out pensioner of Chelsea Hospital, from the 63rd Reg of Foot on 6th May 1799

Regards,Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 February 05 11:59 GMT (UK) »
This might be of interest Silviaann. It is a bit later than your guy but just imagine if you could get this sort of detail too... 8)

http://www.parrant.co.uk/DocumentsMilitary/doccharle1772.html

And have you tried searching for 63rd foot regiment here ?
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search.asp

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 February 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Someone sent me a hand written copy of his discharge papers.  It said he was born in Blackburn, Lancs and was a weaver by trade.  He was 5ft 5 inches, brown hair, grey eyes, fair complxion.

He was in the 63rd foot. He served in the woods in St Vincent, West Indies where he was injured, having lost part of his foot.  He was "in Pension" from May 1799 to July 1801 when he must have found a job as he was "out Pension" until 1805. In 1802 he was in Gravesend, Kent.  He then went to the 8th Royal Veteran Battallion in Portsea until 1814.

I think I will now try to get a copy of the original papers.

I know more about him than most of my other family.  I found his baptism but not yet found his marriage.

Thanks everyone for your interest and help.

Sylviaann

Offline ericx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 February 05 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylviaann
Re 63rd Regiment of foot. This is one of the Regiments that went to make up the Manchester Regiment who have a web site of there own. Just key in Manchester Regiment or 63rd of Foot. You could also try Stalybridge Archives I think they have some info. on this Regiment, although not of a personal nature. If he was a Chelsea Pensioner he would have been an in-patient or an out-patient. Have a look on the Kew rcords office site that might give some more information.
Hope this is helpful.
Eric Cross.

Eric Cross<br />Newton-le-Willows, England<br /><br />Researching: Cross (Cambridge, Shoreditch, Manchester), Cheetham (Manchester), English (Cambridge, Shoreditch) Roberts (Radnorshire, Manchester), Pugh (Kington, Cardiff), Unwin (Nottingham, Manchester), Hoare (Ireland, Scotland, Manchester), Jackson (Manchester). Pigott (Ely), Zanetti (Dorset/Hamps.)<br />

Offline Sylviaann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 February 05 15:34 GMT (UK) »
I've just ordered his records from the National archives site.(Or rather I've ordered and estimate)
What a complicated site.  I found two items in the catalogue and entered the references in the order form.  It Didn't like that.  Apparently you leave off the last numbers and put them in the text. Why didn't they say that in the first place?  Then you pay £10 for an estimate.  You do get the money set against your order.  Not sure what happens to the money if you decide not to order.  The estimate will come in about 10 days.  Then I can order.

I haven't looked at this ancestor for a few years.  Now I am more interested and will look at all sites.  Thank you

Sylviaann