Author Topic: Description "lunatic" and "imbecile" on Census  (Read 33230 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Description "lunatic" and "imbecile" on Census
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 June 10 18:38 BST (UK) »
Add to epilepsy being a possible cause of being described as idiot or imbecile the whole range of head injury and brain damage (including that caused by physical abuse) associated problems - I know from my past work as a mental health social worker that even as late as the 1950's children and teenagers were ending up as long term patients in psych hospitals when their primary problems were caused by head injuries or prolonged physical abuse.  Its only fairly recently that there has been any sort of rehabilitation (and hope of improvement) for people with head injuries. 

Offline Mary-Marlow4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 15 May 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
I've got a family on the 1891 Census, with two children

Frederick, aged 18, described as "lunatic since childhood" and
Mable, aged 8, described as "imbecile since childhood"

In the 1881 Frederick is described as "imbecile from boy"

This is very sad, and I wondered what was likely to have been wrong with them - what medical condition might have been described as "lunatic" and "imbecile"?

I too have been researching this family, and have discovered the parents to be cousins. Their fathers - John Barwell (b1813) and William Barwell (b 1826) were both sons of William and Charlotte Barwell from Gretton.

Offline Tabbicat26

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 May 21 17:20 BST (UK) »
As a result of a previous inquiry about  child, born 1918, with severe epilepsy, kind Rootschatters told me about the Darenth Asylum.  If you follow this link

http://www.ezitis.myzen.co.uk/darenthpark.html

you'll find quite a lot of information re classification of the various types of mental conditions affecting both children and adults who were living there.

The child in question died 1932 from T.B. which imagine, would have been rife in an institution such as this.
Oldham (Cornwall), Lovering (Cornwall & Cardiff), Kestle, Post, Brider, Woodhams (Kent & Surrey), Willmott (Exeter & Southwark) Rose (Lincolnshire)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 May 21 18:12 BST (UK) »

This is very sad, and I wondered what was likely to have been wrong with them - what medical condition might have been described as "lunatic" and "imbecile"?

I too have been researching this family, and have discovered the parents to be cousins. Their fathers - John Barwell (b1813) and William Barwell (b 1826) were both sons of William and Charlotte Barwell from Gretton.

Hi there Mary, welcome to Rootschat!

The Barwell family were somewhat keen on marrying cousins and also marrying people of the same surname.

The family whose children (Frederick and Mable) who I mentioned, were Frederick Barwell and Mary Ann Barwell, who married in 1870.  Frederick Barwell was the son of John Barwell and Mary Ann Neale, and Mary Elizabeth Barwell the daughter of William Barwell, Frederick's uncle, and his first wife Hannah Cunnington.

I am descended from William Barwell via his second wife Elizabeth Alderman, who further confuses the issue by remarrying, on William's death, a Thomas Barwell - who appears to be no close relation so far as I've yet established.

William Barwell and Elizabeth Alderman's daughter Charlotte was my great grandmother.

Are you researching them because you are connected to the multifarious Barwells from Northamptonshire/Rutlandshire?

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 May 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
Just to add

I have William Barwell Snr, my great x2 grandfather born 1816 in Gretton, son of William Barwell and Charlotte Day; and his brother John Barwell born in 1812, also in Gretton, Northamptonshire.

Many of the family appear to be slaters or builders.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Mary-Marlow4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 20:43 BST (UK) »

Thank you, I am happy to share if it is helpful.

Offline Mary-Marlow4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 21:13 BST (UK) »

My great great grandfather Frederick was the brother of Mary Ann barwell, nee Neale. I have not been able to discover anything about William or Lucy Neale who were other siblings.