Author Topic: TIPS FOR ORGANISING MY RESEARCH/RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE  (Read 2031 times)

Offline JacquiY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
TIPS FOR ORGANISING MY RESEARCH/RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE
« on: Tuesday 15 February 05 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm quite new at this but the more research I do the more paperwork I seem to be buried in...and the more paperwork I have the harder it is to find anything!!!....I know this is quite an open question, but does anyone have any advice on how to organise my research.
I'm also interested in the genealogy software thats out there but quite frankly I haven't got a clue where to start - recommendations welcome please.
Jax  :)
WHELAN - DUBLIN
COWLEY - DUBLIN
O'DEA - TIPPERARY?
FLYNN - TIPPERARY?
HUGHES - STAFFORDSHIRE
TINGLE - STAFFORDSHIRE
MEIGH - STAFFORDSHIRE
WILLIAMS - STAFFORDSHIRE/GLOUCESTER
GREAVES - LEICESTERSHIRE

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: TIPS FOR ORGANISING MY RESEARCH/RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui

Firstly software - there is loads of different choices out there, but for me I chose the one I could afford which was GSP Family Tree version  4.  I believe it has been updated recently.  I would advice you to go to Amazon.co.uk and read some reveiws.  But I like Family Tree because it suits me, has facilities for adding notes and I like the facility for printing either my entire line or I can take a distant ancestor and print their line coming back to me.  Family Tree was average price as well and works well exporting data into a GEDCOM which is the software used by sites such as Ancestry.co.uk and I think, other software for sharing family trees across the web and with each other.

Now to my paper filing - I recently had 3 files full of print outs and  bits of paper and I took all the envelopes that the nice General Record Office send everytime they send me a certificate, gave each one of my surnames and filed everything to do with that family in that envelope.  I have joint envelopes for names that are joined in matrimony etc.  Now I can find my paper work instantly. 

Hope my musings help!  :)

kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Paul J Ballard

• RootsChat Member
  • www.paul-ballard.com for UK Ballard Genealogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacqui,

You'll get as many different recommendations for software as there are Rootschatters - well nearly. Try looking at some of the stuff on http://www.cyndislist.com/software.htm to gt an ida of what is around. Whatever you choose make sure it can handle gedcom properly - not all packages do - and it should be able to hold details of your sources that provide evidence of what you build. IMHO The Master Genealogist takes a lot of beating since it also has excellent facilities for adding research tasks as you go along.

As to "paperwork" I take a slightly different approach. My research is arranged around the repositories. So I keep a folder of all my visits to, say. Kent Record Office. I have a copy of the "plan" with each research task that I want to undertake and I annotate it with notes about whether I found what I wanted, the state of the documents, distractions etc. It is surprising how useful this can be later on when you are trying to remember whether the entry for "Fred Smith" was really "Fred Smith" or you happened to be reading a difficult document and it could have been something else.

I make a manuscript copy of the records that I research and if I cannot read something then I either get a print out or photocopy or make a manual note as close to the original as possible. I once wrote down a wife's name from the Marriage Register because I could not read it properly. 10 years later I had read more types of handwriting and on revisiting my notes immediately knew what it was!

In the end it won't matter which way you "slice it" the important thing is to have a system that works for you.

Paul
Ballard in UK all locations and dates.
Other lines of interest - Wills, Bishop, Samuels, Dunnell, Easey, Wes(t)comb(e), Richarson, Jarvis, Mathews, Stoneham, Jarvis, Ingram, Edwards, Catt, Moore, Lintott, Tee, Lee, Phillips, Davies, Drew, and a few more!

Offline JacquiY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 February 05 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi thanks to you both for replying.  It's great to be able to draw on your experience.   I will certainly check out the website you mentioned, Paul.  I just thought it would be a good idea to ask the people who actually use the software.  I have heard of Family Tree, Kerry, I'd like the software to be as easy to use as possible - you're talking to someone who's just found out what GEDCOM is!  I actually thought it was a software programme!! ;D
I think I'll make a stab at organising my paperwork tomorrow - well at least try to file the obvious together!  Thanks once again.  Jax
WHELAN - DUBLIN
COWLEY - DUBLIN
O'DEA - TIPPERARY?
FLYNN - TIPPERARY?
HUGHES - STAFFORDSHIRE
TINGLE - STAFFORDSHIRE
MEIGH - STAFFORDSHIRE
WILLIAMS - STAFFORDSHIRE/GLOUCESTER
GREAVES - LEICESTERSHIRE