Author Topic: MCGEORGE family  (Read 60564 times)

Offline Muff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: MCGEORGE family
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, folks -

I am new to this chat forum, though not to Roots Web and so on (Hi, Kay - it's been a while since we were in touch!), and I have also been helped by Kay with my McGeorges.  I am still fighting a brick wall, and will post what I know here below, in case anyone happens to come across any clues that might help me.

My basic information, gleaned from my great-aunt (who was known to make mistakes, but we aren't sure if this is correct or not since we have not found other info to countermand it), is that she was the daughter of William McGeorge, born in 1841 in Bath, England to William McGeorge of Kirkpatrick-Durham, Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, Scotland.  That Scottish William is reputed to have been born in 1799 since he appears on the England 1850 census as 51 years old, and on the 1860 US census as 61.  His date of birth may be either August, April or October of 1799.

Scottish William (aka William Sr., as I usually call him) married Mary Ann Haddock of Woolwich, Eng on Sept. 23, 1830 at St. Mary Magdalen Church.  We have records of that marriage, but we have no records of who William's parents are, no verification that he was born IN Kirkpatrick-Durham, no positive ID on any siblings, although my great-aunt reported that he had (at least) one brother, Robert.

There is an Alexander McGeorge, who married Agnes Glover and lived in Kirkpatrick-Irongray and who, among other children, had a son William who was born in 1799.  At the moment, this does not appear to be my family, though with the similarity of family names there could be a relationship, a fairly close one, perhaps, between the families.

Names that may appear in my McGeorge family include:  William, Robert, Anne or Anna, Amelia, Janet, Arthur, Mary, Wallace, John ... judging from subsequent generations, and trying to separate McGeorge names from the ones that came in via the Haddock, Wilcox and Percy families on the English side.

I am still in Iceland, where genealogical facilities for me are only online, so I would love any leads to new possibilities.  But I am looking forward to a potential sabbatical during the 2007-2008 school year, when I will spend time in Scotland and plan to work hard on this brick wall.

Meanwhile, thanks to RootsWeb for sponsoring this sort of chat - it was nice to find today in a spare moment between students (I teach singing, etc.), and thanks to anyone who has suggestions for me to follow up on.

Muff
McGeorge, Guthrie

Offline Muff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:MCGEORGE family
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

I am delighted to 'find' another McGeorge researcher.  My GG grandfather was Samuel McGeorge, born c1837 in Kirkpatrick Durham.
I have been doing a one name study on McGeorge for several years and have quite a large data base on McGeorges, world wide. can I help you?

I have my own family on a web page if you would like to check it out
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/m/Kay-Elizabeth-Campbell/index.htm

cheers
Kay

Hi, Kay - Just me again, my computer having lost your e-mail, so using this to get info to you.  I just looked up a will for John McGeorge of Lochside of Corse, Kirkcudbright, who died 6th June 1826.  His executor and listed next-of-kin was his nephew William McGeorge.  John died intestate, so no goods listed, and obviously no wife or children - may have outlived them, or may never have married, etc.   But if perchance his nephew William happens to be MY William Sr., then it would locate him in Scotland in 1826, perfectly logical, since my first record of him in England is in 1829 when he became one of the founders of a church parish group in Bath.  But ... William being a very common McGeorge name, do you have any clues on this John McGeorge of Corse (or Corsock) of Kirkcudbright?  John is one of my family names, but then it is fairly common anyway.  Thanks much -

Muff
McGeorge, Guthrie

Offline brolga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 December 05 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Wendy,

I may have another/deeper connection for you.
"According to the family", Janet McGeorge married John Barclay c1810.
Their daughter Agnes is one of my great^3-grandmothers.
She married a James Robison & moved to Australia.

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Murray of Urr
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 24 December 05 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sometimes you just don't see what is on front of you.  I've read your message before but it just did not register. Doh!

I see you have information on the Murray's of Urr.  Is this Murray information only in connection with the McGeorge family or do you have other Murray's please?

Yours
J.A
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 24 December 05 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I really only have info. on MURRAYs in regard to the McGEORGE family, although I have followed through with the marriages of the siblings of my James MURRAY, son of James MURRAY and Elizabeth McGEORGE.
I see from an earlier posting of yours that you found Elizabeth and James MURRAY on another site, can you tell me where please?    Do you have a connection to these MURRAYs?
Happy Christmas,
Anne

Offline KC

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 December 05 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have Elizabeth McGeorge married to James Murray death cert if thats a help

Elizabeth Murray, widow of James Murray, master grocer, 9th Jan, Springholm, 75yrs,
parents: John McGeorge, farmer, dec & Jane Baxter
fatty degeneration of heart, several years, general debility
Elizabeth Row/Rae, daughter present, Southwick Lodge
Kay

Offline annemaj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 December 05 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay,
Could you possibly scan this and send it to me please.    Elizabeth McGeorge is my husband's 3xg.grandmother and it would be a nice addition to my file.
I would be very grateful indeed.
Regards,
Anne

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

The site that I found the Murray/McGeorge information on is //homepage.rootsweb.com/~scottish/Murray-McMurray.html (I just put in 'Murray/McMurray' in the google and it comes up.)  The record you are looking for is 298.

Yours J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same

Offline KC

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 January 06 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to our McGeorge cousins.
Would the people researching the Walter McGeorge and Helen Mclellan  like to email me privately. I can then send what I have on this family
(*)

my web page on my own family is  http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/a/m/Kay-Elizabeth-Campbell/index.html
For some reason it keeps saying that it has moved. It maybe because the address is so long and goes onto the next line

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php