Author Topic: John Walshe /Mary Egan cavan  (Read 4159 times)

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Walshe /Mary Egan cavan
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking for details of my GG grandfather John Walshe married to Mary Egan in Cavan

His son John was born 1874 in cavan and married Catherine McDonald.

John jnr sons John and Michael served with Scots Guards in WWI and john was captured at Ypres and both he and Michael survived the war. Any advice on tracing this level of ancestor pre 1874 in cavan would be great.

walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John Walshe /Mary Egan cavan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 09 13:46 GMT (UK) »
your dates of interest are very close to the beginning of full civil registration in 1864, if the family was non-catholic you may find marriages of John and Mary's parents (these marriages started registration in 1845).

do you know the area of Co. Cavan they lived, or any occupations.. ?

The IFHF website (www.irish-roots.ie - paysite) includes parish record transcripts for County Cavan.

presumably you have the John & Mary's father's names from the marriage cert - if so you could search Griffiths Valuation to see if you can find them : http://griffiths.askaboutireland.ie/gv4/gv_start.php

there are a few Egan entries ~11 and about 100 Walsh (none with the e)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 08:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry but havent been on the site for a while so thank you for your reply
walsh , boyle, inglis, finlay, geddes, lawson, mcgeechan, mcgee, gilliland .  69th foot, Scots Guards, Inniskilling Fusiliers , Mesenberg POW.  Co meath, glasgow, donegal; fermoy Co. cork,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
IGI (www.familysearch.org) has some children for John Walsh and Mary Egan listed:
1. Margaret born 2 July 1864 Virginia, Cavan (page 350 in civil index)
2. Thomas born 28 Feb.1867 Virginia, Cavan (page 380 in civil index)
3. Anne born 17 June 1869 Co.Cavan
4. Bridget born 1 Feb.1872 Ireland
5. John born 11 June 1874 Co.Cavan
6. Delia (born Ireland) married 1 Jan.1899 Manhattan, N.Y. to Michael Farley

Going by the birthdate of Margaret (1864 was start of birth registrations) it is possible that the parents were married before 1864 (start of registration of Catholic marriages) so you might need to search for church records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
This is fantastic thank you so much
Dermot

Offline floyd107

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Peter walsh (married 1916) son of John Walsh and Mary Egan born 1878, according to census details (1911) John and Mary had 13 children.  We know they had a John died 1915 (age unknown) and Patrick (age unknown) died 1913.  Along with Peter, we also know they had a Thomas, and Mary.  That accounts for 5 of the children.  John died 1915 aged 83 and Mary died aged 78 1916. Do you think there is a connection?, Peter born in Co Meath, John died in Co Meath and Mary died in Co Clare (her son Thomas lived there), both buried in Co Meath

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info floyd. Could you let me know what were your sources for your data on John Walsh and Mary Egan
Thanks
D

Offline floyd107

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:42 GMT (UK) »
My husband g-father Peter born 1878  (info from Church records Oldcastle), son of John Walsh and Mary Egan.  Peter found on census oldcastle with parents (which stated has 13 children, 11 still living.  Gravestone at Oldcastle reads :
In loving memory of John Walsh died 18th Jan 1915 (Peter signed death certificate) and his wife Mary died 16th March 1915 (her son Thomas signed Death certificate), their sons Patrick died Dec 1908 and John died Dec 1913.  Also their son Peter Walsh of Fennor died 26th Dec1932 (my husbands grandfather) and his wife Mary Ann (Foley) died 1st Aug 1969  May their souls rest in peace. Erected by Mary their loving daughter and sister.  Peter had 4 daughters (all now deceased) and two sons.  John died c 1932-33 and James Francis my husband father died 1971 Bristol. 
My husbands cousins still live in Oldcastle and surrounding area's.  His cousin Angie still lives in the cottage where Peter lived and raised his family  with Mary. (awaiting death certs of Patrick, John, Peter and John to see if any other info available.  In Fennor there is Still one Walsh (by name) an elderly lady who mentioned two brothers emmigrating to Australia, not sure how or if connected to John and Mary!!  Wendy (Floyd)

Offline wdermot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 09 07:47 GMT (UK) »
I am unsure if there is a connection as all the family I am interested in were from Ballyhaise in Cavan. there are some similarities with childrens names , but after a rewview of teh previous  posting ( which stacks up )I think this is just a coincidence.
Interestingly my mother family are all from County Meath !
Thanks for the info anyway

Dermot