Author Topic: tongue family birmingham  (Read 2387 times)

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
tongue family birmingham
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
hi is anyone researching the tongue family from birmingham i have found a george henry tongue in royal warwickshire regiment in ww1 living in saltley birmingham i think he might be a relation david

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: tongue family birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 March 09 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My great grans maiden name was Tongue from Birmingham. There seem to be an awful lot in Brum ( or were anyway).
My great gran was  one of the many children of Samuel -1821to 1881.
I can't see a George Henry on my tree but I haven't gone sideways on that side. I have just made a record of Samuel's other children.
What year was he born and do you have any more details?

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 March 09 15:13 GMT (UK) »
thanks for reply hes a relation or a very close friend of the family as he was sending letters to my ball family in jersey to say he was ok hoping to find his family to see if we are related but also would love to let them have a copy of a couple of letters sent from front line    david

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 March 09 15:16 GMT (UK) »
forgot to mention he was living in highfield rd streetly according to his army papers ww1   david

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 March 09 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Are his parents or wifes name on his WW1 papers? I can't seem to find them on ancestry.
Tina

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 March 09 16:22 GMT (UK) »
no info on marriage on medal record having been trying to find his service record what i did find he married edith elston in wawick in 1917 im sure thats his partner    david

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 March 09 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi David
I've had a quick look. I think he may be on the 1901 census living at 132 Highfield St Saltley with
Clara 34 a widow
Elsie 8
Walter 6
George ( no Henry) is 9
This seems to fit. I do have a Clara Ann Picken in my tree who was married to George Tongue. If this is the case then Samuel Tongue ( my relation) would have been George Henry's great uncle. Do you have the information from the 1901 census or any others? I am happy to help you look for more details if you would like
Tina

Offline tinav40

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 March 09 17:02 GMT (UK) »
If you have the correct marriage for George to Edith I have a child for them. There may be more  but I only had another quick look.
You need the proof that it is the correct George and then you can keep going forward.
Tina

Offline raa

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 March 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
i have letters from george sent during the war with his regiment number on the letters and when i looked on his medal record the name and regimental number was exact match but it also gave his adress so i have the right man highfield rd  saltley the question is that he could be a relation even if not must be close member of the family to send letters to my family from front line david