Author Topic: George Allen/Allan  (Read 10869 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Allen/Allan
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have sent you a personal message.
I think Mary Annie's parents were Archibald Rowan and Mary Ann McCullough.  They had at least 9 children.  All born in Ireland.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 17:31 BST (UK) »
For the benefit of anyone else researching this line Mary Anne McCullough was born c1837 and her father was Thomas, a labourer according to the marriage certificate I have for her and Archibald Rowan.  They were married at the Presbyterian Church in Tullyallen, parish of Loughgilly, Co Armagh.  July 20 1854.   Archibald's father was Andrew, occupation Weaver, as was Archibald.
According to Mary Anne Rowan's birth certificate (5th may 1874) she was born at Cullies, Cootehill, Co Cavan.  Father a flax scutcher and mother Mary Anne formerly Duffy.  The latter is not correct - either a mistake in the register or copied wrongly when I ordered the certificate back in 1988.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 05 June 15 19:58 BST (UK) »
Update - The marriage certificate for George Allen to Mary Jane Mains in 1868 gives his age as 44.  However, it now seems obvious that he lied and was much older.     His death aged 61 in 1895 is also very suspect as that does not fit with census records which make him over 80.   Maybe Mary Jane never knew his true age?
His father is shown as David Allen, farmer or maybe farrier?, on the certificate.