Author Topic: George Allen/Allan  (Read 10859 times)

Offline afossil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Allen/Allan
« on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I have the 1891 census for George Allan in Stockton.   
RG12 4050 95 4
George Allan 80? Retired Blacksmith b Ireland
Mary Jane wife 62 b Newcastle
Fanny E Tate mar dau 40 b Newcastle
George H Allan son 26 Hammer Driver b Stockton

I cannot find them in any earlier census.  George died in 1895 age 61 which does not quite fit with the census. I can find the son in 1901 with wife Elizabeth.
Can anyone find the family in an earlier census or a marriage for George and Mary Jane?  I can't find Fanny's birth but George Henry is on freeBMD in Oct 1864

Thanks

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: George Allen/Allan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello afossil

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

You can view the 1881 census free here http://www.rootschat.com/links/05rr/ and George is there still in Stockton aged 70 with wife Mary Ann and son George  RG11/4897 fol.53 p.28

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 March 09 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you have the right death for him?  The 1891 has 3 entries in Durham for a George Allan born in the 1830's
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 09 22:33 GMT (UK) »
George died in 1895 age 61 which does not quite fit with the census

Neither George was born in  the 1830s
If you mean George junior, he was born 1865 so it doesn't fit at all.

It's more likely to be this one as he was living in Middlesbrough in 1901:
Jun 1922 Middlesbro'  9d   707  ALLAN George H aged 57    (so born c 1865)

There's a big gap in age between George Henry and Fanny, so she's possibly from an earlier marriage.  If you were to get George's birth cert it should give his mother's maiden name which would make it easier to find her marriage.

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 March 09 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't have young George's marriage
Dec 1895 Guisbro'  9d   971
ALLAN George Henry   HINCHLEY  Elizabeth

I have found the Allan family in 1871, living at the same address as in 1881, but big discrepancies in age and birthplace, 2 other sons but no young George   :-\

1871 RG10 Piece 4904 Folio 17 Page 27
27 Donald Street, Stockton
George ALLEN head m 44 Blacksmith  Walker Northumberland
Mary Jane ALLEN wife m 38                  Newcastle   "
John MAENS      son unm 21 Striker at Works  Newcastle
Robert MAENS      son    "   16        "        "              "

John Maines was listed as a boarder in the 1881 census!

This raises a lot more questions

Barbara 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 March 09 23:51 GMT (UK) »
George died in 1895 age 61

The George who died in Stockton in 1895 was George Allen not Allan.  Do you have a copy of the death cert to confirm it was the right death

Neither George was born in  the 1830s

The 1891 has 2 entries for George Allan's living in Durham.  One b 1832 and living in Wingate and the other b 1834 living in Winlaton.  Although I accept that neither of these locations is included in the Stockton registration district, the age of the George who died in 1895 was more consistent with those birthyears.  George Allan would have been 84/85 in 1895
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 March 09 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole,

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant that neither George on the census found so far was born in the 1830s, George H was b. abt 1865 and George senior b. anywhere from 1811 (on 1881 census) to 1827 (on that last 1871 census I found), so I didn't think any of these death registrations would be theirs

Barbara  :)

Offline afossil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 March 09 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks for the replies.  I have the death certificate and I know that this George is connected to my family as I have an old notebook which says says G Allen died 28th July 1895.   That is the only reason I know he is a family member.  (Maybe I have picked up on the wrong one in the census?  The age on that was hard to read and could have been 50)   He is a blacksmith and the informant is wife Mary Jane.    Their address is 1 Clarence St Stockton.
I am actually doing some lateral thinking in trying to trace my gt grandmother Margaret Allen.   Supposedly born in Walker, Northumberland in c 1842 so that 1871 entry for George looks good.  She married Henry Brown in 1868 in Tynemouth.   I have that certificate and her father is George Allen, Blacksmith.  The notebook - which is an insurance or savings one from the look of the entries is in the names of Mr David Allen and Mrs Margaret Brown.    I was hoping that David and George were her brothers and I might find more about her that way.
Cheers
afossil

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 March 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
(Maybe I have picked up on the wrong one in the census?  The age on that was hard to read and could have been 50)

The 1891 image shows a definite 80 and that age is confirmed by his 1881 age of 70

You also appear to be searching for the more conventional spelling of this surname which is ALLEN not ALLAN

If Margaret was b 1842 - have you checked freebmd for a possible birth? 

Have you checked the 1851 census which is nearer her birthdate than 1871 and more likely to find her with her parents/siblings