Author Topic: Temple Village Midlothian  (Read 138490 times)

Offline fred2derf

• I am not longer being notified of new replies
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Temple Village Midlothian
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 March 09 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Yes, lots of dangerous creatures in Australia.

George was a cooper at a gun powder mill, his father William a gun powder maker. George's brother Joseph was a shoemaker and George's son Joseph a stone mason. I have nothing yet on George's brother William. Two of George's daughters went to Australia: Catherine and sister Eliza arrived on vessel 'Admiral Lyons' 15 Sep 1857 "Housemaids from Edinburgh". George's daughter Grace married William Walker a hotel keeper. Charles Shedden was a grocer.

I'm wondering if any others of the WEST family are in Temple or if it's just the one lot in Lair 21??

Regards,

Fred

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 March 09 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,

Thanks for sending the trades to me, as far as are there any more West's buried there it would depend on when they arrived in Temple and if proper records were made before 1888.
It seems that records were started from 1688, there are some stones at Temple from that date onwards, sadly these only have initials on them.

I will try and get to the Library and look up the Old Parish Registers, what I have heard is that the ones for the 1700's are badly water damaged and some are very hard to read and also torn, we have no idea how that happened.

There was quite a big firm of shoemakers in Gorebridge I think between 10 or 12 were employed, and there would have been plenty of work for the Masons.

If I find anything else on the West's I will be in touch again.

Many thanks again.

Best regards.

Archie.

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 29 March 09 03:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Thanks. I was wondering about George's brother William born 1807 and their parents William born abt 1782 and his spouse Catharine (nee MacKenzie)  born abt 1784. I don't know yet when any of the three died for sure but Catherine may have died 1841-1851 if the 1841 census listing is her.

Regards,

Fred

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 March 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

once I get the records I will see if they are in there, I have the 1694 Census record for November at Temple and there are no West's in it.

The funny thing about the Temple burial ground is, for 4 hundred years there are very little people buried there, when we look at the past populations of the Village and area there were a lot of people kicking about.

On a rough count I can only find around 600 names and that includes around 12 from 1689 to the 1700's, then I ask myelf where are they all.

There were burial grounds at Clerkington and Mount Lothian both are no longer there, there is one at Carrington and another just down from it at Whitehill Aisle.

My own investigations think that this burial ground is on top of another, either that or the burials were deeper than normal, say 8 to 10 feet deep, who knows perhaps one day we will know.

Could they have ben English ?, Horne itself sounds like an English name, as Sandra said Charles Hitchener brought a lot of workers up with him, with William being a gunpowder maker it sounds much like he came up from the South.

I wonder why two young ladies would travel to Australia, was it a promise of better work with assisted passage, anyway, it seems that they must have done well, and you must be proud of them for taking the big leap.

Best.

Archie.

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 March 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Thanks. I don't know about Grace being English. Her death certificate has no parents listed so she remains a mystery. I don't know about William either.

Catherine ended up marrying in NSW James Sands who was born in Dunfermline and Eliza married James Litten and so far I can't find his birth.

Regards,

Fred

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 March 09 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

thanks again for filling in some holes, if you don't mind, I would like to put some information you gave me in my records from the old book of Temple burial ground.

I take it you probably have these already but I thought I would send them just in case you don't, Horne could be Horn as it shows up in Temple as you will see, it's a pity we don't know her parents or the area she came from.

STOBHILL

Margaret West born 19th May 1872 father Joseph West mother Margaret Shedden or Peat.

Grace West born 7th May 1874 parents as above.

STOW

Agne West married William Welch 22nd May 1761.

James Horn born 18th August 1754 father James Horn mother Marion Pride.

John Horn born 4th March 1759 parents as above.

TEMPLE

George West born 16th July 1867 mother Ann West ( No father mentioned )

Joseph West born 30th April 1805 father William West mother Cathrine McKenzie.

William West born 30th September 1807 parents as above.

Elizabeth West born 3rd February 1840 George West mother Grace Horn.

Grace West born 12th February 1842 father parents as above.

William West born 7th February 1844 parents as above

Ann West born 16th September 1847 parents as above.

Mary West married Robert Hunter 19th November 1836.

George West Married Grace Horn 19th May 1837.

CARRINGTON

Mary Horn born 9th November 1856 father Michel ( Michael ) Horn mother Bridget Michell ( Mitchell ).

CHRICHTON

William Horne married Catharine Alison 9th August 1805.

BORTHWICK

Mary West born 11th March 1838 father George West mother Grace Horn. ( A Twin to Catherine below )

Catherine West born 11th March 1838 parents as above.

Joseph West born 1st November 1851 parents as above.

Mary West married Robert Trench 24th August 1855.

Grace Horn married George West 19th May 1837.

Joseph West married Helen Ferguson 16th June 1843.

CRANSTON

George Horn christened 29 December 1793 father William Horn mother Marrion Renton.

DALKEITH

Christan Horne married John McMillan 27th November  1680.

LASSWADE

Kathering Horne married George Cockburne 23rd July 1872.

Jane Horne married Francis George 22nd September 1835.

NEWBATTLE

Mary West married Robert Hunter 15th November 1836.

NEWTON

James West Married Katreine Watt 8th September 1658.

PENICUICK

Catherine Horne born 30th May 1856 father John Horne mother Martha Brown.

Martha Horne born 25th August 1860 parents as above.

John Horne born 5th December 1865 parents as above.

Janet Mitchell Horne born 7th April 1864 parents as above.

Sophia Louisa Horne born 15th April 1861 father John Horne mother Mary White.

John Horne married Martha Brown 11th Octoer  1850.

I hope this is not to much Fred but I thought trying all the nearest parts to Temple.

Best regards.

Archie.

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Thank you very much. I was missing some of the marriages of the WEST children. I had none of the HORN(E) at all. Interesting that the census says Grace HORN who married George was born in Kirkcaldy, Fife. She has to fit in somehow but there seems no obvious marriage or siblings given her birth around 1820.

I will search now that I have some more HORN names.

Regards,

Fred

Offline Templar75

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred,

glad to hear it was of use, check this site out below, this is the one I used and is of great help.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyMidlothian.htm

As you will see I have attached photos I took of the church at Temple, this is the original one and may have been the one the West family used for marriage and chritenings. There was another across the road from it and this was built 1832, further up in the newer village was the Free Church of Scotland.

Best.

Archie.

Offline fred2derf

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Archie,

Thanks a lot for the link and the photos. I'm not making much sense of the HORN entries. I don't know how Grace fits in yet.

Regards,

Fred